Hiring A Transit Van in France

Julie & Steve

Are you in France now?  have a look at www.pagesjaunes or actually in your french phone book page 420, there are plenty of companies to choose from ,the larger ones ie,Budget,rent-a -car etc,have a web site.

You will still have to speak some french when you arrive at the office to collect the vehicle though!

Mrs o

Don't be seduced by seeing "only 29€ per day" on hire vehicles, usually the charges reckon upto being nearly twice that once you have studied the small print and the extra charges per km. I spent a long time visiting hire companies a couple of years back when one of ours was damaged and under repair and to be honest it was very very eye-opening regarding all the "extra" charges and the cheques de caution varied a great deal too.

I can recommend ADA for long distance stuff,  really good deals for international hire, you may find an English speaker, but don't bank on it, they are also a franchise, so don't expect the same level of service at all branches.  I got a 13M3 for 500€ for five days with 2500km included.

I think you will find that Hype U and Super U are for "local" daily hire stuff.  Please forget this english speaking stuff, because if you only use english speakers you will not get the best deals, (and in some instances get well and truly ripped off)It is hard if you do not have good French, but it is not hard to hire a van or car, use a site like http://dictionary.reference.com/translate/text.html?lp=zh_en&r=0

To prepare what you want to say.  The forms you get are similar to those used in the UK so no nasty surprises,  take your driving license with you, (which you should carry all the time anyway) whoever you use.

Having hired quite a lot of vehicules I have invariably found better prices by going to the agency rather than trying to do it via the website. I have had positive experiences hiring vans with both Hertz and Mingat, though not in your area.

I would certainly concurr with what Ron says about giving it a go in French if at all possible. Get them to write down the figures and familiarise yourself with basic terms. I too think this is key to getting a better deal.

www.superu.fr

I have just had a quick look and I don't think it can be rented over the internet but I am pretty useless on the internet anyway.  They would certainly need to see your driving licence.

We quite often rent a van from Super U.  The price you pay depends on the forfait you chose.  The more kilometres you do, the more it costs.  I should say, the more you plan to do.  If you know you will be doing say 300km, you take that forfait and not the say, 450km or 100km.

I will try to find the bill.  It is only a fortnight ago we had a van for the weekend.