Is a recent Control Tech. required if selling ?

Lorribee

can we clarify the rules on control techniques and selling second hand cars ?

we currently have a Fiat tipo rhd on french plates that we wish to sell complete or for spares. It has about 1 year of CT left. Will it need a new one ? - because of the relatively low value we do not wish to go to the bother of renewing the CT.

[quote]In the paper they just put CT ok. And yours is.[/quote]

Not if I understand the situation correctly it isn't;

A CT must be no more than 6 months old, ie. with 18M to run. However, there is nothing to prevent you selling the vehicle with no, or too short a CT, it's just that the new owner will need a new CT to register the vehicle in their name. Obviously not a problem if the new owner is a scrapyard.

Bear in mind that, if the new owner does not register the car in their name, you could get the Gendarmes hammering on your door when the car is used in an armed robbery. That happened to me once - OK, it was England, but they were fairly heavy-handed & not armed...

Thanks Nick for prompt answer, we bought the car in a panic when we had a car accident{ not our fault} after arriving here only two weeks earlier, we have now got super french car and the Tipo is proving a problem to get rid of even tried part exchange for new I think garage staff are probably still laughing....

"A CT must be no more than 6 months old, ie. with 18M to run"

Are you sure Nick?  Is this documented somewhere  cos its news to me and our local paper.  There is something like this for registering a car in France, but surely there are no rules about the length of CT left when selling a car privately, otherwise how do you sell a CT Failure?

As far as I was aware the CT on a car over four years old should not be more than six months old if you are selling the car. I'm sure this is right. Have you looked on the service.public site?

I think that it is just for parts, you have to see the prefecture or mark the carte grise that it is for pieces detaché or something like that. The prefecture will know.

The bank robbery will be OK Nick, when you sell, you give the buyer one part of the certificat de vente and send your duplicate to the sous prefecture (or prefecture of course) within 14 days.

Ron, (edit : as TU states the post before) you sell cars with CT failures or whatever as pièces detachées (sp) or simply let the buyer decide whether he wants the cat without a CT, or if short, the choice is still with the buyer. Legally!! The car should have 18 months remaining on the car, if it is less, then the onus is on the buyer to have a new CT done before reregsitering itb in their name but having said that, I have simply chanced my arm on occasion at the sous refecture and have not been challenged on the length of CT being too short, so……………………..

I have forgotten what we have written on the carte grise for selling as "pièces detachées" or car to be repaired etc, I think if my memory is correct it is something like “Vendu en état” written across the carte grise (and corner cut off ) I did post it on here once, where is it !!

Hello all

Having sold a few cars here in France, I know that you can sell a car at any time of the duration of the CT. If the CT is over 6 months old you are not obliged to redo it. You simply sell the car 'en état', which puts the onus on the buyer to have the CT done before being able to register it. As long as you have the 'certificat de cessation' signed by the buyer and yourself (which you sometimes need to cancel the insurance anyway), you are covered for anything that happens with the vehicle after the buyer has taken it away. I have done this twice with no problems occurring.

Richard

[quote]Hello allHaving sold a few cars here in France, I know that you can sell a car at any time of the duration of the CT. If the CT is over 6 months old you are not obliged to redo it. You simply sell the...[/quote]

simply to confirm that you are not oblidged to provide a CT to sell a car but for the new owner to register the car it must have CT that has been done in the previous 6 months.

regs

Richard