Citroen Jumpy

Kate CKate C

We have a Citroen Jumpy with a keypad. The red light is flashing and we are unable to key in the code and get the van started. Anyone with any knowledge on how to unblock the keypad? We do have manuals but they are in German.The problem has never happened before today and of course it is Sunday and all the garages are closed. Thanks.

Hi Kate 

I have no idea if it will help but my 1996 Citroen Saxo has a keypad and it says in my handbook re a red light situation:

In case of error: Switch the ignition off and on again, then re-enter the code. After 3 successive false attempts the keypad will be blocked automatically.

To free a blocked keypad: Switch on the ignition and wait one minute. Switch off, then wait for a further 30 minutes for the keypad to be released. After this time a new attempt at entering the security code can be made.

Worth a try perhaps.

Sue

Thanks Sue

We have tried all the tests that we can find including the ones you mention. I'll try them again but its not looking too good.

Its getting to the stage that the battery is getting very low on charge too.

We thought that we might be able to download a manual from the internet but that didnt work either.

Thanks for helping out anyway

If you have the original paperwork from your purchase I would search for it - we couldn't find the 'right' bit of paper and replacing just an 'ordinary' key cost us around £200 (don't ask !) recently. (Citroen Picasso)

Spgs offer sounds a very good one to me

Good luck and do let us knpow how it goes.....

Spgs - many thanks for your kind offer to help. We live not too far from a Citroen garage also and we will get on to them tomorrow. We will also call an English speaking Citroen garage in Ireland and see if this is a peculiar problem and any known fixes for it before we get hit like Russethouse did. We will get the battery charged up in the morning and see where that leads us too.

That sounds an awful lot of money for a key Russethouse. Ouch!!

Fingers crossed that we get this sorted out ASAP.

Once again - many thanks to you all.

Kate

TRY DISCONNECTING BATTERY AND CONNECT AGAIN -MAYBE MEMORY IS THEN JOGGED -A BIT LIKE A COMPUTER FREEZING AND THE ABOVE HELPS WITH A COMPUTER.BUT PERHAPS WAIT FOR SO CALLED EXPERTS AT CITROEN-I HAVE HAD THEM TRYING TO FIX MY CAR MAP NAVIGATION SINCE JUNE.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TRY JUMP STARTING -SORRY A JOKE FOR A JUMPY -BUT WHO WANTS TO GO OUT ON SUCH A MISERABLE DAY? WE WILL ALL BE WAITING FOR THE SOLUTION SO KEEP US POSTED.

Have you tried entering 0000 ? (or however many digits your code is?)

I have the 'woofer doofer' electronic key, my husband the 'ordinary key' - he lost his, so we had to contact Citroen for the code, but sadly this would not 'talk' to the inboard computer so this computer had to be changed too.....ho hum.....

The problem is that the keypad is not doing anything. You can push on the buttons until you are blue in the face - but they dont actually make an entry or sound.

This morning, in this lovely rain we've had in the Vienne all day, I got out of the car and in the time it took to do that the dash got a good soaking. I've tried the hairdryer trick but that didnt do anything either. I guessed that it might have got wet but then probably the red flashing light wouldnt work either in that case.

Mmmmmmmmmmmm

You might have some luck on this citroen forum.

http://citroenpicasso.org.uk/citroen/

You might have to register to post, but you can search through posts already there.

There is also this one which has a citroen section.

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/

Failing all that, try the method John Cleese (Basil) used in Fawlty Towers when his car stopped. Didn't make the car go, but it obviously made him feel a lot better

Brian.

Hi All

Paul here, Kate's better half. Mmmmm

Basically, I called a friend in Ireland who discovered that this problem occurs quite regularly with the Citroen keypad. Basically, one (sometimes more than one) of the tiny wires connected to the unit just break. Thats what happened here. I simply replaced the broken wire and Bingo.

So for future ref - we now know.

Many many thanks for all your helpful suggestions - oh and I cut down an oak branch for the John Cleese remake but I'll just have to burn it on the fire tonight instead.

Cheers all and merci - Paul and Kate