Using the grasscutter on Sundays....

Is there a law against using machinery on Sundays or is it just a cultural thing ? I beleive there are such laws in Germany but I've never heard of any here. My neighbor just went ballistic over me interrupting his nap with a spot of cutting, he's not well liked round here anyway so it may just be him but I'm curious as to the meaning of his tirade about 'interdit' on Sundays.

[quote]Is there a law against using machinery on Sundays or is it just a cultural thing ? I beleive there are such laws in Germany but I've never heard of any here. My neighbor just went ballistic over me in...[/quote]

It depends.

If you live out in the sticks you more or less do as you please but if you have neighbours then the normal rules apply.  The considerate think of others and the not so considerate live next door.

weedon

"And that dogs are not allowed to make a noise other than if one's property is being broken into."

Hi TU, do the dogs know that one. They certainly don't just North of Carcassonne. I must adimit that I didn't know about the ruling and I don't think the Spanish guy next door does either. He's been cutting trees on his land for the past several months and as he is at work all week the only chance he gets to do it Saturday and Sunday. No trees left now so he's stopped!

I believe that there is a ruling about bonfires? Any ideas or will that be a trip to the Marie too?

John.

Not that everyone here adheres to it but the rules here in the centre of our village are on Sundays that all garden and building machinery must not be used between noon and 6pm during the summer months and no bonfires at all from June to October in gardens. Personally if my neighbours wish to cut their grass on a Sunday I really don't mind but those who burn green rubbish for the sake of it when we all wish to have windows open or sit in the garden are just purely bl***y selfish and deserve to be reported,but who would do that,life is too short for any neighbour feuds which can escalate terribly.

This is all I have found. My Mairie has a list pertaining to our dept, as I asked for a copy a few years ago. The times may vary from dept to dept. These are just the things from various prefectures I could open on the web.

Les occupants des locaux d'habitation ou de leurs dépendances doivent prendre toutes précautions et toutes dispositions pour que le voisinage ne soit pas troublé par les bruits émanant de ces locaux tels que ceux provenant d'appareils de radiodiffusion ou de reproduction sonore, d'instruments de musique, d'appareils ménagers ainsi que de ceux résultant de pratiques ou d'activités non adaptées à ces locaux.
Les travaux momentanés de bricolage ou de jardinage réalisés à l'aide d'outils ou d'appareils. susceptibles de causer une gêne pour le voisinage tels que tondeuses à gazon à moteur thermique, tronçonneuses, perceuses, raboteuses, scies mécaniques ne peuvent être effectués que :
- les jours ouvrables de 8 h 30 à 12 h et de 14 h 30 à 19 h 30
- les samedis de 9 h à 12 h et de 15 h à 19 h
- les dimanches et jours fériés de 10 h à 12 h.

Professionals can only work from 7h until 20h

Article 9 : Les propriétaires d’animaux, en particulier de chiens, ou ceux qui en ont la garde, sont tenus de prendre toutes mesures propres à préserver la tranquillité des habitants des immeubles concernés et voisinage, ceci de jour comme de nuit, sans pour cela porter atteinte à la santé de l’animal .

"Personally if my neighbours wish to cut their grass on a Sunday I really don't mind but those who burn green rubbish for the sake of it when we all wish to have windows open or sit in the garden are just purely bl***y selfish and deserve to be reported,but who would do that,life is too short for any neighbour feuds which can escalate terribly."

Quite.

I find the hum of lawnmowers quite soothing, but it is forbidden here on a Sunday, as are bonfires I believe. However, my neighbour lit a fire on Friday and Saturday to burn some still wet greenery, engulfing my freshly-washed laundry in smoke and obliging us to keep all our windows closed on the loveliest weekend of the year. But as we haven't been here long I don't think storming round there to make a fuss would be the best course of action...

Hi - I garden professionally but never use machinery (unless at a really isolated property) between 12 and 2 (or after 12 on Saturdays) as I thought this rule (or maybe cultural tradition) applied all over France. I thought you could only use domestic machinery on Sunday mornings (although we have been known to have our cement mixer going all day!!)

When we first started the business a couple of years ago, I was cutting a lawn at around 12.15 and the folks from the neighbouring property came and asked me to stop as they were sitting outside trying to enjoy their midday meal. I had to sit around for ages waiting to finish it but learnt my lesson and always manage to finish before lunchtime now.

One of the lovely things about France - the silence at lunchtime.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree that the tranquility between 12 and 2 and indeed all day on Sundays is something to value and have decided to observe it myself. It was the tirade that bothered me, in fact I had thought about waiting til his nap the following Sunday, stealthily set up my speakers by the hedge and then blasting him with the strains of 'White Zombie' until an apology was forthcoming. Apparently it works in the American gulags.