how to work out CV on car....?

Blade

we have a mitsubishi delica 2.8 turbo diesel. we are not of the CV on the engine to get this registered in france.can anyone help. the list goes from 1CV to 40 CV with prices going for the carte grise from 30 euros to 1200 euros. can anyone help?

[quote user="Blade"]we have a mitsubishi delica 2.8 turbo diesel. we are not of the CV on the engine to get this registered in france.can anyone help. the list goes from 1CV to 40 CV with prices going for the carte grise from 30 euros to 1200 euros. can anyone help?[/quote]

I would contact Mitsubishi in France and ask them:

http://www.mitsubishi-motors.fr/contact

I seem to remember that some French online insurance sites can work it out from the details you enter on their form, but that might not work without the car already being registered here.

Have you tried the Préfecture? They have computerised listings for all sorts of vehicules...

There is no easy way to work out the fiscal rating - it depends on many factors, including the age of the vehicle, the fuel used, (letterly) CO2 emissions, gear ratios, whether a car or a van, number of seats, and several more things beside just engine size. If you would like to see a formula or two (and these only apply to certain vehicles) look at http://www.mopar-owners-club.com/teknik/power.html.

Best to get an insurance quote, which may or may not be possible according to whether the vehicle was ever officially imported into France, or go to your DRIRE - either or both of which you will have to do at some stage, and either of which will be able to tell you the rating for your particular vehicle.

• 2 weeks later...

As far as I know, the CO2 emissions/rated power formula only applies to private cars manufactured after July 1998. There have been many different ways of calculating over the years.

Most people seem to want to know the CV before they even get a certificate of conformity, and quite a lot of Japanese etc vehicles won't have a European CofC showing the CV rating for France.

Good point, Will - though I recall that it was 3 months ago when Blade was talking about registering this car.  I assumed he'd gone through the type approval bit and had now reached the stage of visiting the prefecture.

My 2.5TD is 11CV and last summer, it cost me 336 euros to register.  I see that the price has since gone up to 508 euros [:(]

You could well be right about Blade SD - I do remember some previous discussion now.

That's one heck of a price increase. People say there is no road tax for private cars in France, but the registration fees more than make up for that by the looks of it. Our French cars have all been around 4-5CV, all Peugeot/Citroen diesels, with 1.4l to 2.0l engines, which were far cheaper. I did bring a Volvo over, which was 12CV when we insured it, but it went back home before it was time to register it in France, just as well by the look of things.

I am sure I recall seeing somewhere that the cost of the carte grise went down quite drastically - virtually halved - once the vehicle was over a certain age, I think it was 10 years (I'm not thinking of the 25 year véhicule de collection, just the standard carte grise). Does anybody know if that's correct? 

Hi everyone,

Nice to be back amongst you all.

Will asked for confirmation re price and age of vehicle - the link below takes you to a page which shows price and cost relevant to cv.

I am gutted as we have to register our 12cv car at a cost of 554 euro and it won't be 10 years old until December this year at which time it would cost just 277 euro.

http://www.prefecture-police-paris.interieur.gouv.fr/demarches/carte_grise/cout.htm

hope you find this useful

[quote user="Will the Conqueror"]... the cost of the carte grise went down quite drastically - virtually halved - once the vehicle was over a certain age, I think it was 10 years (I'm not thinking of the 25 year véhicule de collection, just the standard carte grise). Does anybody know if that's correct? [/quote]

Yeas that's correct: if your car is over 10 years old, the registration fee is halved.

The fee is decided by the prefecture and is likely to be different all over France.

(back in 2003): 1991 Renault Espace 3l 16V = €110 instead of €220 , but 2002 Smart = €110

The CV rating shown on some CoC's may not be correct for France;many manufacturers changed the specification slightly for France to reduce the CV rating and hence the registration tax.The difference was usually a different final drive or set of gear ratios.

JC, you're right about the different specifications for the french market.  For example, I have a Honda motorcycle and the "identical" model imported into France has been detuned to below the french 100bhp limit.

That said, surely a CoC issued against a car originally imported into the UK market would show the CV rating for that specific model, not the french (detuned) version.  In that case, it would be the actual (possibly higher) CV rating shown on the CoC that the registration cost would be based on.

The rating would be correct for the country into which that vehicle was originally sold but may not be the same as for a "supposedly" similar vehicle originally sold in France.Many vehicles(even those manufactured in France)were slightly modified from the specifications sold to the rest of Europe to bring them into a lower(cheaper) CV class.Having said that a number of other European countries based their insurance classes on engine power output and others on engine capacity.In the UK the classes are usually agreed between the AIB and manufacturers and take into account cost of repair,likelihood of accidents(hot hatches) and other factors.