AA 5 Star Cover

Gardian

Just a timely reminder / suggestion to all those who may be planning a trip over here this Summer: don't, whatever you do, leave home without some form of breakdown or assistance cover, whether AA, RAC or whoever.

For years, we'd paid our AA premium, which had incessantly crept up in price, but never made a claim. In Autumn 2004, we had a nasty prang in (of all places) a hypermarket carpark and our car was badly damaged and subsequently written-off. Bizarre eh? Especially as we were in a C5 and the other car was a Peugeot 106, but that's another story. Most importantly, no injuries on either side.

Anyway, the 'wrecker' arrived in minutes, took us away and generally calmed the situation. Lovely people. Contacted our UK insurers: completely hopeless - didn't know what to do about a problem abroad.

Rang the AA number in Lyon: after a 10 min delay (presumably to check our cover), rang back to confirm that a taxi was on its way to take us the local Hertz office, that a hire car was waiting for us, and that the wrecker's bill would be guaranteed by fax immediately. Totally efficient. Subsequent regular telephone updates on their progress with our insurers over the state of play.

If we hadn't had cover, we'd have been well and truly in the proverbial mire.

Oh, and if you do have an accident, stand back, take a deep breath and fill in that form in the most minute detail - it'll help when it comes to any subsequent dispute. 

Dick

Try "Morethan" they covered my very old volvo annually for less than the price the AA wanted for 14 days.

I now pay less than £80 yearly for an old shogun.

I think they will cover cars upto 26 years old.

regards colin

It could be advantageous for people to approach their own car insurers and ask if they can provide the equivalent of AA 5 Star as an extension to their normal cover.

My insurance includes such cover at a cost which is very much lower than normal retail rates.

I've claimed once and that was with Britannia rescue(as an extension to my travel insurance);it was me who was damaged not the car but with one phone call,they arranged collection and shipping,and,by the time I was shipped home,the car was on my driveway.