How do you address the Mayor in your village

" Monsieur Le Maire " is a polite and correct address for initial contact. If you have known him for a while then just Bonjour Monsieur is sufficient. In smaller communities, many Maires are just ordinary members of the community, and often have "proper" jobs, or are farmers in the community. The pay of a Maire is not very high. My Maire calls me by my prénom and I do likewise to him, as he is a friend. Not forgetting of course that France has lady Maires as well.

Paul

[quote]Not forgetting of course that France has lady Maires as well. And haven't the Government just announced/proposed a Female version of the word? Mairiée, or summat?[/quote]

Meantime, it's Madame le Maire! Yes, masculine.

Strange the French language genders. La sentinelle for a sentry. La prostate, which is certainly unfeminine and (dare I say it) le vagin!

Monsieur.

Or with friends several things that would end up with a line of 'xxxxx's' on here. I've heard others call him Napolean and someone even call him hitler. It was pleases me no end when I hear that others in our village have the same opinion of this person that I have.

And I'm not much fonder of the village notaire and draw the line at calling him Maitre, I just can't do it.