Buying a new car

cheminot

When we move to France permanently we want to buy a new car. (A Renault Scenic is our first choice)

Is it just a case of going to your nearest dealer and paying his price for the car we want or are there other outlets; eg. internet, where we could get a better deal?

cheminot

Dear All,

Have you ever considered wandering into your local English Renault dealer.

They should be able to order a UK spec car (usually higher than European) in Left hand drive.

You will then have the advantages of being able to speak the same language, get a manual in english and benefit form any current Renault UK deal (currently 4 years 0%), also you should be able to negotiate the same discount as available on the equivalent RHD car.

You may have to part with a larger deposit (dealer doesnt want you pulling out of sale as couldnt sell the car to anyone else easily) and a  slightly longer build time delay.

If the salesman says he cant do it he is fibbing as I used to do it when I worked in the trade 3 years ago.

Vinrouge is right.  Your English Renault dealer should be able order a Scenic in LHD.  The UK spec will probably be higher than the French one, but bear in mind that it'll probably mean nothing to a prospective French buyer when you come to sell it on.

Regarding discounts, it could mean a special order through Renault's export division so discounts may be more marginal than through the dealer. 

Furthermore, you may not be able to opt for the 0% finance as it'll probably only be offered on selected standard UK models as agreed with Renault Finance.  In any case, the finance is by way of hire purchase and under the terms of the agreement, you won't be allowed to export the car to France.

Don't forget to ask for the car to be supplied tax free to avoid having to pay the VAT again on arrival in France.  You'll need to export it within two months.

Then you'll need to factor in the usual costs of exporting a UK registered car to France - new headlamps, French registration, etc.

Alternatively, you could compare the Renault UK and Renault France Scenic list prices to see how close they actually are.....[;-)]

Also be aware that delivery times on new vehicles can be very long in France.  We went at beginning of June and asked about a new car - were shocked to hear they could get us nothing before October!  Even allowing for the summer hols this seemed crazy.  Owing to time pressures we ended up taking a showroom model....

Chrissie (81)

Hi there,

Agree with these comments. I would ask if you could order the car with right dipping headlights.

We probably had a bad experience, but when car hunting over here in Limoges, I was gobsmacked at the general lack of any service from main dealers. After working in the motor trade for 8 years, I couldnt believe that from 7 main dealers we visited not one offered us a test drive, a coffee and looked at our 3 1/2 year old part-exchange as though it was an utter inconvenience to their day (even the dealer we bought it off 3 years ago). I thought at first it was me but my wife who is normally very laid back about these things was getting very annoyed.

C'est la vie.

[quote user="Chrissie"]

Also be aware that delivery times on new vehicles can be very long in France.

Chrissie (81)

[/quote]

I had the same experience in 2003. I wanted to buy a Citroën Picasso. I went to a local dealer in mid-July and was told it would be mid- to late October before they could get the car for me. I ended up buying a second-hand Peugeot and am very happy with it.

Ken

I bought a new Micra from my local Nissan dealer (50% owned by Renault) - I was given coffee, treated well, and had the car in a week.  Price comparable with the UK and all the paperwork is authentic French, carte grise sorted.  They service it when I turn up, no appointment needed except in really busy periods.  I'm not rolling in money but I do think the hassle of trying to save a few euros is just not worth it.

My UK Nissan dealer had said he could not get me a LHD model even though they're all built in the UK!

I bought second hand  from our local BMW dealer - cheaper than those on offer from UK dealers.  I could have got a similar car even cheaper in Germany, but by the time I took off the travel/accommodation costs (lost money if the car wasn't right) plus the export/import costs, the difference was marginal, so I decided it wasn't worth the bother. 

Like Cooperlola, my garage is very friendly and they really look after me - their advice regarding a recent damage insurance claim plus some out-of -warranty freebies have certainly justified the "local" purchase.

Thanks very much for all the replies. I dont fancy touring europe so it will be between dealers and the internet.

I bought my present car through the internet which, as it was a diesel automatic it was a special order and delivery took three months. I'm not bothered about waiting as I will keep my present car until it arrives.

I've checked the difference between UK and French prices and for the model I want there doesnt seem to be much difference.

I think i'll try playing off the local dealers against each other first and see what comes of that.

cheminot

You're lucky to have that many local Renault dealers to play off against one another.

We are replacing our Ford with another Ford but this time an automatic and our local dealership owns four other franchises in the area, so not much chance of playing them off against one another.

Benjamin