Car recommendation

P

[quote] Mikki, yes I'm sure Mercs are great but it's a budget thing again.  I

didn't say I owned an Evo, only that I covert one.  The perfect woman's

runabout, don't you think?[/quote]

And I never said you did cooperlola, only that if you did, you would need bundles to run it over here [;-)]

And the Merc mention was so tongue in cheek.... cripes, anyone knows it

takes at least 5 tank fulls to be able to drive 290,000 km's [:)]

My lady has a little Fiesta, a product not of Dagenham but of

Valencia.....................not the perfect runabout of course but affordable

and a maroon colour [:D]

Actually, Tim, this is one of those topics that has strayed wonderfully off line as ever.  I don't think anybody was actually actively looking for a car in first place - they just recommended the Seat.  Then I (and others, perhaps) just got onto their favourite topic - cars. And somebody who strays onto this site may well be interested in others' experiences of different marques and what they're like to run over here in terms of servicing etc. I have absolutely no doubt that Beemers are great to drive, but it's money again, and their image is just not me - but of course, that is just personal.

I once went to Brocket Hall (before Lord Brocket saw fit to set fire to a large part of his Ferrari/Mazzer collection).  His mechanic told me that of all the cars in the garage - and believe me they were mouth-watering) he liked his Lotus 7 best.  Make of that what you will.

[quote user="Tim_Quincaillerie"]Lotus are a speciality car i spose, L-oads O-f T-rouble U-sually S-erious

[/quote]

When I had mine it was generally pretty trouble free. When I first got it, one of the doors was not perfectly aligned but the garage sorted that (under warranty as it was a new car) but otherwise just great fun. There were a few part recalls, but they were not a big deal and not too critical (and all done by the local dealer FOC).

I think Lotus actually got the reputation with 2nd hand Elan's. If you curbed an Elan you were quite likely to twist the chassis and bugger-up the handling (by twisting the chassis). When an inexperience person then purchased one of these they only found out about the handling later and it was a fairly major repair and was not cheap.

Certainly my 111S was rock solid. Very strong. Being unfamiliar with driving such cars, before it was delivered (as there was quite a waiting list then), I went on a driving course for the car at Lotus and the way we treated the cars - I doubt many other cars would have lasted the day - but apart from tyres these managed without problems.

Ian

[quote user="Tim_Quincaillerie"]I tend to agree about the BMW drivers, there is an expression that springs to find but since this is a family forum i refrain lol

Lotus are a speciality car i spose, L-oads O-f T-rouble U-sually S-erious

[/quote]

Bit like Fords:

F ix

O r

R epair

D aily..........

Also,

F ound

O n

R ubbish

D ump.[:D]

Oh, and yes I have............hence my username!

[quote user="Ford Anglia"]

[quote user="Tim_Quincaillerie"]I tend to agree about the BMW drivers, there is an expression that springs to find but since this is a family forum i refrain lol

Lotus are a speciality car i spose, L-oads O-f T-rouble U-sually S-erious

[/quote]

Bit like Fords:

F ix

O r

R epair

D aily..........

Also,

F ound

O n

R ubbish

D ump.[:D]

Oh, and yes I have............hence my username!

[/quote]

Or

F ound

O n

R oad

D ead

Hi I am the guy who once at Portsmouth was asked to open the bonnet of his car a then Volvo V70.  I loved it so did the dogs.  Fortunately it had never gone wrong and the only people who had opened the bonnet were the Volvo dealers.  Thus did not know where it was the security people were not too happy and somewhat concerned.  Then in the line I was faced with some humour from fellow Welsh guys. At that time the average service was well in excess of £300.  However I am off the track.

Sold the Volvo wanted a change bought a Honda iCTDX 2.2 here in France serviced at St Malo they look after me I cannot fault it but no doubt someone can and will.