Will our mondeo pull a caravane?

Frogslegs

There's a rule of thumb that the laden weight of your caravan should not exceed 80% of the weight of the tow vehicle.

Very experienced towers may exceed this figure but this is not recommended for novice or occasional towers. The loading of the caravan is also iimportant. Most caravans tow better when they are loaded nose heavy.

Very true Benjamin!  As a regular tower of two ponies in a 1000k trailer, I agree.  I have also found that the length of the vehicle in comparison with the length of the trailer affects things.  For instance, when I moved up from an SWB Landy to a 110, I found it lessened the "sideways pulling" effect of heavy lorries quite considerably.

The 85% 'rule' is a very good start point, diesels make good towing vehicles because of their torque characteristics.

Loading is critical. All cars have a max recomended 'nose weight' figure which relates to the down force on the drawbar, it will be in the manual and will probably be somewhere between 20 and 50 kg. Get yourselves a nose weight gauge, very cheap from (say) Towsure. Use it every time, dont guess. Buy a stabiliser, they are very good for an increase in peace of mind, even if you or anyone else thinks you dont need one.

If the van you buy has an onboard water tank, dont travel with it full or part full, water sloshing about whilst towing will definitely cause instability ( been there, done it, it was NOT fun).

Caravanning is fabulous. We have towed all over Europe and UK for many years, going back to the days of using an Austin Maxi (great tow car). Take care, take advice, dont try to rush anywhere, enjoy.

The municipal sites are, IMHO, the best to stay at in France.