the casting vote!

mint

after much thought and research, we have decided that we would probably sell both our cars and go down to one car in france.

i have had loads of advice about bringing our cars over and we have reluctantly decided that probably neither car is worth the hassle.  it's been a difficult decision as one car is a wonderful to drive hyundai estate and the other is an even more great volvo estate.  however, so be it, one has to make a sensible decision and, sd, thank you for all the previous info.

now, what i want to know is, are right-hand drive cars subject to any sort of insurance premium in france and is it better/easier to sell the cars in the uk rather than in france?

also, could someone please provide links to a mazda or hyundai provider as i think we would prefer an eastern car to a french one?  quillan or will, can you help?

sunday driver, you have the casting vote.  if you tell me that it's more sensibe to have a left-hand drive, i'll believe you absolutely!  is it true that you are safer in a left-hand drive and driving life is easier altogether if you have the right sort of car?

I think you've answered most of your own questions!  Sell the cars in the UK as ones with the steering wheel on the 'wrong' side are worth diddly here.  Easier to drive a left hooker and drive on the right.  Not least because of the hassle of jumping out of your car and running round to the barrier of a car park when you're on your own - trust me on this, been there, done that, had the barrier come down again before I could drive off.  As a thought, cars are cheaper here in Lux and in the next few weeks there is the annual Car Fair where they knock 10 - 20 % off the already low list prices.  I got a 2006 Hyundai Tucson with all the bells and whistles for 23 K euros (same model 25K pounds in UK). And they will register it in france if you want!

Aggree with hte last poster. New cars can be cheaper here. Last August I bought a Hyundai Tucson 4 wheel drive top of the range 140bhp diesel, same as the last poster drives. The French list price was around €30k. I searched the internet in France and bought the car from a dealer in Cahors for €24.5k. That turns out cheaper than the UK price for the same car with a less powerful engine.

Before you all start on about polluting 4X4s, it uses less fuel than a 2 litre petrol Mondeo and can run on part veggie oil!

Can't help with the links or recommendations you want, but you have a couple of answers already. From my own experience I would go for something popular in France, for ease of maintenance etc, but it's entirely your decision.

The only people likely to want a right hand drive vehicle in France are those going to a country that drives on the left, not many of them in Europe now. So one is not easy to sell in France, whereas a LHD diesel is no problem. I dont think there are any insurance problems with RHD. As to whether LHD is safer, I personally wouldn't like to say. I suppose it is easier for passing slower traffic. Some people used to RHD just dont feel safe in LHD, so if they aren't confident they probably won't really be safe or find things simple.

pierre, bob t

it all sounds good.  is it true that spain is also cheaper than france?

it's ok russethouse, we know a hyundai garage within an hour's drive and in a town where we have friends, so no probs.

it's hard to give things up but sometimes, it is the only sensible option

thank you everyone.  cheers!

The casting Vote!!  [:-))]

(Now, who was that biblical geezer who offered to chop the baby in half to settle an argument over who was the mother.....?)

Well, I agree that bringing a RHD drive car over to France to sell is a non-starter.  You'd be paying all the import costs to make it legal for France, then getting very little money for it, so I'd sell it in the UK.

Everybody else in Europe drives a LHD car, so why not you?  Driving is a doddle and you get used to it within a few miles.  The roads are designed for LHD cars - you have a better viewpoint (eg, checking to the left at roundabouts) and overtaking is much safer.  I've forgotten what it's like now to drive a RHD car - it seems so unnatural nowadays.

Which car you buy and from whom is down to you in the end.  I bought my second hand BMW from our local concessionaire - cheaper than the equivalent car in the UK, but for marginally more than I would have paid had I bought one in Germany, but the hassle made it not worthwhile.  Having bought locally, I get a first class personal service from my dealer.

Your choice....

sunday driver

that's it.  the oracle has spoken.  so, a lhd it is.  will sell one car, bring the dog over, take second car back and flog it.  then, hunt for new car.  how exciting is that?

thanks sd, i knew you'd give me good advice and i appreciate the trouble you have taken to put me on the right path

[quote user="Sunday Driver"]

The casting Vote!!  [:-))]

(Now, who was that biblical geezer who offered to chop the baby in half to settle an argument over who was the mother.....?)

[/quote]

Solomon!  Hence wise as Solomon ........ sorry its the librarian in me .....

[quote user="Pierre ZFP"][quote user="Sunday Driver"]

Well, I agree that bringing a RHD drive car over to France to sell is a non-starter.  [/quote]

Doesn't matter if its LHD or RHD, if its a non-starter then you'll never flog it

(I'll get me coat....)

[/quote]

pierre

thanks; both cars start ok.  only joking! in fact the dithering was because i love both our cars; both automatics and quite swish.  the volvo in particular has leather seats, winter pack, all the toys.  but i now know that the sensible decision has got to be sell both brit cars and buy french (our permanent move is imminent; just need to sort out edf so that we have all the utilities)

[quote user="sweet 17"]

that's it.  the oracle has spoken.  so, a lhd it is.  will sell one car, bring the dog over, take second car back and flog it.  then, hunt for new car.  how exciting is that?

[/quote]

Call me Mr Silly but if you've flogged both cars, how do you get back out to France to hunt for a new car?

pierre

will sell one car.  bring dog over in second car.  find new lhd (perhaps going over to luxembourg, as per your suggestion) send husband back to uk to flog second car while i stay in france with said dog.  then husband flies to bordeaux and i go and collect him from the airport in the new lhd (hoping all the time i'll be able to drive it and don't miss the turning for merignac!).  if you have a better suggestion, i am willing to listen, pierre! 

[quote user="sweet 17"]

pierre

will sell one car.  bring dog over in second car.  find new lhd (perhaps going over to luxembourg, as per your suggestion) send husband back to uk to flog second car while i stay in france with said dog.  then husband flies to bordeaux and i go and collect him from the airport in the new lhd (hoping all the time i'll be able to drive it and don't miss the turning for merignac!).  if you have a better suggestion, i am willing to listen, pierre! 

[/quote]

I know I've had a couple of glasses of Pineau - but I'm exhausted just reading that!!

I know excactly how you feel about selling your beloved cars.  We sold the house - no problem.  Said goodbuy to family & friends - no problem.  We sold our Alfa - cried for days!!! [:-))]

ali-cat

what do you have now and are you happy with it?  i suppose selling the cars are a no-brainer.  just one of those things.  don't like it one bit, but sometimes in life, you need to choose and i am really a coward when it comes to choice

regards

[quote user="sweet 17"]

ali-cat

what do you have now and are you happy with it?  i suppose selling the cars are a no-brainer.  just one of those things.  don't like it one bit, but sometimes in life, you need to choose and i am really a coward when it comes to choice

regards

[/quote]

We bought a Toyota Corolla Verso - because I have a bad back & it's got high seats ..... & we hate it!!  It's so boring compared to what we were used to & we're thinking of changing it as soon as possible.  Our number one choice would be a Beetle Cabriolet!!  We were driven around in one by an Immobilier & loved it!!

Buy what you love & would enjoy & forget about reliability & practicality!!   Mind you - I am a little tiddly at the moment so I could be talking rubbish!!  [:D] 

ali-cat

when you have sobered up (no rush) please email or pm me as we will be looking for something like your car!

will find out all about it meanwhile.  ok, so we are boring old f****s, but hey, we need something reliable!