House by House

I have been told that several of the villages around here have had officials calling round to, as far as we can tell, every house and sorting documentation out with the residents and inspecting their homes and out buildings. All this to do with local taxes.

Also as we were discussing m²habitable and I said that we couldn't do our loft out. Someone said not to try and do it or fit a velux in the loft as all those helicopters who often fly over take photos...... to check up on land use and any changes to buildings.

[quote]I've heard about the helicopters too. They also check for undeclared piscines.[/quote]

Not so sure about that. We discovered recently that the previous previous owner had not declared the swimming pool and was not listed on our tax forms.  The pool was installed 25 years ago and the current Maire knows about it as our houses back on to each other with a Pre in between and we've had a few discussions about our pools.  The pool is now declared BTW (and the new one is filling as I type

Funny you should mention a helicopter buzzing about.My husband was working high up onthe church roof  the other week when one came down really low and kept flying round and round the village and then back and forth for quite a long time. He said he felt like he was on the run and it was looking for him it was so low. It wasn't EDF doing pylon checks or Dragon 29 looking for patients to fly to hospital and the military tend to fly along the coast,so who was it? Our cadastral plans are all being digitalised at the moment for each commune so perhaps they were doing a new study and like you say, seeing what was being built legally or otherwise. As for officials visiting every property here,nothing has come to light and nothing mentioned last night at council as we would be informed first.

[quote]Funny you should mention a helicopter buzzing about.My husband was working high up onthe church roof the other week when one came down really low and kept flying round and round the village and then ...[/quote]

Yes, they have helicopter checks in Dept 17 too. Some of them are the customs officiers checking out what is going on with crops in the vineyards as the farmers are only allowed to sell a certain allocation of juice. Any surplus grapes have to be cut and left on the earth to rot. It all reminds me of years ago when there were butter mountains etc!

And yes, we too had out taxe d'habitation re-calulated as they did not seem to believe us on our this year's declaration form when we had stated that we had not converted anymore of the house to living accomodation.

We discovered recently that the previous previous owner had not declared the swimming pool and was not listed on our tax forms.  The pool was installed 25 years ago

And were you liable for any kind of back-tax?  I'm a little concerned at the moment, as we are converting our barn into living space and our kitchen is already an agro shell built inside the existing barn, done by the previous owner, and I have my doubts as to whether it was ever declared, especially as our taxe d'habitation is so low.  And I don't want to be landed with a huge back-tax bill for the last 15 years!!!