Towing a Trailer

StephenM

Hi

I intend to return to the UK and buy a trailer to bring back some items that won’t fit in the car and then continue using it for carrying renovation materials here.  I have read conflicting information as to what is required to use it in France.  Does anyone have personal experience of this? It will only be a small 2 wheeled trailer.

Thanks

Assuming you're living in France, then you will have great difficulty importing a foreign trailer. 

Code de la route Art R321-4 states:

Le fait de mettre ou maintenir en circulation un véhicule à moteur ou une remorque sans qu'il ait fait l'objet d'une réception est puni de l'amende prévue pour les contraventions de la quatrième classe.

That means that the trailer must be type approved for use in France before you can even tow it off the ferry.  Even if you're buying a new one, the dealer is unlikely to be able to supply you with a certificate of conformity that is valid for France.  If he can't, then forget it.  If you're buying it second hand, then forget it.  There are plenty of small two-wheeled trailers for sale in France. 

A small two wheel trailer with a gross weight (PTAC) under 500kg can be towed under your car's registration number and insurance. 

S.D 

I am aware of the type approval requirement for trailers larger than 500kg but what of smaller and specifically older home built ones?

Mine I built 20 years ago and had to rebuild after moving here, I would say that it is one of the newest that I see at my dechetterie, most have very old and interesting leaf springs and axles or subframes or even rubber band suspension from donor vehicles which have long passed.

I was advised and am happy to be corrected that my 2 wheel unbraked <500kg home built one would be OK but my home built 4 wheel car trailer I should only use whilst still on UK plates, it now rests in storage.

That code de la route section refers to all trailers, regardless of size. 

From what you say about the small trailers you see at your dechetterie, then clearly this particular regulation may not be stringently enforced.  I suspect a four wheel car trailer would be a different matter, though........

[quote user="Sunday Driver"]Code de la route Art R321-4 states:

Le fait de mettre ou maintenir en circulation un véhicule à moteur ou une remorque sans qu'il ait fait l'objet d'une réception est puni de l'amende prévue pour les contraventions de la quatrième classe.

That means that the trailer must be type approved for use in France before you can even tow it off the ferry.  

[/quote]

I'm having difficulty in imagining how this can be applied in practice, in the case of a trailer that has its own registration and documents.  I don't disagree with your advice, but I'm curious about the law.

If you have a car with proper documents, incuding evidence of insurance of course, you can drive it across any border in Europe, no matter where you are resident.  For instance, a French resident could buy a car in the UK and drive it into France, couldn't he?  (He may have to re-register it within a certain period, but I'm talking about bringing it into the country for the first time.)

Assuming this is true for a properly registered car, is it not also true for a properly registered trailer? 

If our friend from the UK could not legally tow it off the ferry, then equally no French resident could legally bring a foreign trailer across any of France's land borders.  This seems unikely.

Am I missing the point?  Part of the problem may be that I don't know what the word réception means in this context.

Check the prices in France ...........a guy in my Dorset village went over on a same day  booze cruise from Poole and ended up buying a 6 foot X 4 foot one from the tye and exhaust outlet opposite the hypermarket and dragging it back .........he  was delighted as he saved a lot on the UK price for one the same size .

[quote user="Sunday Driver"]

That code de la route section refers to all trailers, regardless of size. 

From what you say about the small trailers you see at your dechetterie, then clearly this particular regulation may not be stringently enforced.  I suspect a four wheel car trailer would be a different matter, though........

[/quote]

On reflection SD I think that you are correct but like many laws here it is either ignored or not enforced, it would be particularly hard to enforce on the smaller trailers that do not have a carte grise, however it is relatively easy to ensure that any company selling trailers attest that they conform.

Interestingly I have never seen anyone selling components for DIY trailer building in France as do towsure and indespension in the UK.

My car trailer is hidden away with my as yet unrestored Lotus Elan on it, I am very carefull on the occasions that I have to move it now that my car is registered in France.

I did get stopped with it about 5 years ago near the circuit de croix en ternois, I was towing it loaded with my Caterham 7, the towcar was UK registered as I was living there at the time. The gendarmes were only interested in seeing my driving license, not my insurance, the trailer or anything else.

Allanb

Sorry if I've confused matters.

If the OP's small UK trailer has not been type approved by the manufacturer for use in France, then legally, he would need to submit it to the DRIRE for a single vehicle approval inspection, even though it wouldn't actually need to be formally registered here because of its size.  Given the practicalities and economics of doing this, then in reality, it would need to be already type approved before he arrived in France.

PS: Réception means type approval.

If ever I feel like alienating myself from my community or indulging in masochism I will start telling all the (french) owners of home built trailers I meet at the dechetterie and bricolages that they are breaking the law and should go direct to DRIRE..........

Editted

I have just worked it out, they all probably know the law but just dont think that it applies to them, when I first used the trailer I didnt have a matching freench plate on it and believe me every time I used it someone stopped me to tell me I needed the correct plate, they wern't being officious they just did not want to see the gendarmerie gain 90 euros; one of them even insisted on making me a blue peter one out of materials he had in his boot.

I've been delving into the subject of trailers of late as I have a large box van trailer which will be used for the move but which I then wanted to keep in France for various reasons.

It was made by Batasons and they have an English "agent" in France with whom I have today had an intreresting and informative conversation, unfortunately it was not what I wanted to hear though.

The bottom line seems to be that, notwithstanding the inconsistencies and vagries of the French system, if it wasn't either built in France or a type approved import you will face huge difficulties in getting it registered and if it's larger than about 2000kg gross weight then don't even bother trying.

The guy actually congratulated me for doing my homework and said it was almost the first time he had been asked in advance in contrast to the far more frequent calls from Brits who've taken trailers over and are now desperately seeking help because they can't get them registered.

Someone is bound to pop up now with "I got my UK trailer/horsebox WHY through no problem" blah blah blah, but from what I have learnt to day, from what I consider an authoritative source, such cases will be absolute exceptions.

If anyone is contemplating bringing one over then they should first contact the manufacturer to ask if it is French type approved and, equally important, will they give you a certificate for it.

If anyone wants the guy's telephone number please PM me.

I have a large sledge which would be useful for transporting my sheep to Spain if and when snow arrives.  I plan to use this in conjunction with a team of huskies or, if cheaper, wolves.  Assuming my sleigh team is fitted with regulation studded tyres, can I use this rig to transport sheep acrosss the Pyrenées into Spain, or would I need advance permission from the Spanish authorities?

[quote user="Cassis"]I have a large sledge which would be useful for transporting my sheep to Spain if and when snow arrives.  I plan to use this in conjunction with a team of huskies or, if cheaper, wolves.  Assuming my sleigh team is fitted with regulation studded tyres, can I use this rig to transport sheep acrosss the Pyrenées into Spain, or would I need advance permission from the Spanish authorities?
[/quote]

I thought you only drank in moderation?

I've built a turnpike outside my house, and it's on the only trans-Pyrénéen sledge route.  I charge 8,000 euros to pass.  Whether or not your Nordic caravan subsequently gets through Iberian controls is your own lookout. 

erm, aren't we going to get into trouble for doing off-topic nonsense?  If so, it's your fault, you started it, again.