Buying a car in France.

Bugsy

I've just been told that if you buy a car here with a lump of cash the dealer has an obligation to report the purchase to the authorities.

Is this true ?

and, if so, what is the amount at which this happens?

Does it also apply to a cheque issued on your french bank account.?

I know that it is illegal for a private individual to make a payment of more than €3,000 in cash: this has been well documented elsewhare on the forum.

I don't know about a dealer reporting such a transaction to the authorities; I strongly suspect that a dealer, at least a respectable one, would simply refuse to take your cash.  Regretfully, no doubt.

"Much to the regret of the system but then the stupid, stupid ministers for Europe just want to make your money accountable and to get their slimy, corrupt hands on it."

Clearly an informed comment on the EU stance over drug trafficking.  The rest of us obviously weren't aware that these ministers were more concerned about stealing our money than stopping the sale of illegal and harmful drugs to our children.

Rather than condemn you for being the stupidest person on this forum, we should hold you up as an shining example of enlightenment.....

Blimey! I confess I didn't know about the cash limit rule. My builder asked for half of the third (of four) installments to be paid in cash so that he could pay the masons before the congé. I didn't feel entirely comfortable travelling with Euro25K in my pocket either! Still, I did get a receipt for the amount, noted as 'en liquide'. Now I'm not sure whether the receipt is evidence of an offence! ooher..

My BiL who is a car dealer in the UK tells me there is a cash AND cheque restriction(officially) in the whole of the EU tho' the amount appears to differ from country to country.He says the UK is £10,000 (€15,000)-above this HRMC must be informed.

we want to buy a new car and wonder if there is a discount stores that sells all makes, such as like JamJar.com in the UK.  We'd searched arround for a Nissan Patrol in the UK and got various quotes from dealers and then got a substantially cheaper price from JamJar, one which our favourite Nissan dealer couldn't match.  It is a UK spec, not a grey import or anything unusual about it, just a run-of-the-mill car like you could buy from the dealers.  We've had no problem servicing it at the local dealers or anything.  We saved around £4,000 on the purchase too.

I'm keen, obviously, to save money on the l/h drive car we shall buy in France, haven't decided the make yet, but when I do I shall check the local dealers first.  But is there a French equivalent of JamJar, when you order over the phone?  I heard there was a Belgium hypermarket somewhere but haven't found a link to that yet.

Any advice on saving money or finding a new car at the cheapest price is most welcome.  Any good leads out there, please?

Many thanks

[quote user="darnsarf"]

Blimey! I confess I didn't know about the cash limit rule. My builder asked for half of the third (of four) installments to be paid in cash so that he could pay the masons before the congé. I didn't feel entirely comfortable travelling with Euro25K in my pocket either! Still, I did get a receipt for the amount, noted as 'en liquide'. Now I'm not sure whether the receipt is evidence of an offence! ooher..

[/quote]

This could raise some awkward questions.....

Why did the builder need 25,000€ in cash in order to pay a couple of masons their holiday pay? If he was temporarily short of the 'readies', then why didn't he ask you for a smaller, more appropriate amount - and within the legal limit (which he will have been aware of)?

Did he then bank the surplus?  If he did, then the bank would be obliged to investigate the large cash deposit as an unusual transaction and if necessary, report it to the authorities as potentially the proceeds of crime under the money laundering regulations.

Did he not bank the surplus?  Is he treating it as a 'cash in hand' job, leaving you both vulnerable to a subsequent tax audit?

[quote user="jc"]My BiL who is a car dealer in the UK tells me there is a cash AND cheque restriction(officially) in the whole of the EU tho' the amount appears to differ from country to country.He says the UK is £10,000 (€15,000)-above this HRMC must be informed.[/quote]

Under the UK money laundering regulations, motor dealers are obliged to report large cash transactions (the guidance limit is £10,000, but it's not definitive).  Payments by cheque or other forms of money transfer do not routinely need to be reported because their source is traceable through the banking system.  The report has to be made to the National Criminal Intelligence Service, not HMRC.

[quote user="nectarine"]

Any advice on saving money or finding a new car at the cheapest price is most welcome.  Any good leads out there, please?

[/quote]

Simply buy a copy of Auto-Plus from the newsagent . It's only 1.8 euros and has a lot of car supermarket ads in the back.

Where did I say " a couple of masons"? There are 14 of them. And no, it's not a cash in hand job but a fairly big renovation, TVA, devis, Siret etc. All other staged payments have been made on inter-bank transfers/cheque.

Going back to the OP, I'd suggest looking via ebay.fr  which where I sourced my car. Obvoiously, one needs to take care, just like any car purchase really - well maybe a bit more.

Very strange. All building companies in France with paid employees  pay into the CCBO(Caisse Congés) or equivalant in their region by way of regular cotisations. Then when the employees wish to take their holidays it is paid for upon the receipt of them sending in their certificate with the holiday dates and they receive the payment not the boss - NO WAGES ARE USUALLY PAID by the patron unless if he not a bona fide registered outfit!!