Another question on reregistering a French vehicle.

oakbri

Having spent the last hour trawling through previous posts and using the search I can't find a suitable answer for my question so I will ask. I think it is fairly straight forward but as my prefecture is a long drive, and according to my french friends saying "NON" to a carte gris is their favorite hobby, I want to reduce my trips there to no more than a handfull.

So:

I have just bought a french vehicle, which I will collect tomorrow night.

I know to reregister it in my name I need:

Demande de certificate d'immatriculation, the old carte gris marked "vendu", certificate vente and the certificate de situation administritive. It doesn't need a CT so I don't need that.

Now as I understand the old owner has to inform his prefecture by post that the vehicle is sold, saying he posts it monday morning I guess there is no point going to my prefecture for at least a week. So to use the vehicule until then I must insure it on its old immatriculation (its from a different department)

My questions are:

1. How long should I wait before driving to the prefecture to ensure their system is updated to show the vehicule is sold.

2. After I receive my carte gris and new number plates how do I alter my insurance. (I do most of it through the internet but I have not seen a web page to inform them of a change of registration to a vehicule you already have insured with them)

Many thanks in advance

Answers;

1) You don't (have to wait). Provided the name on the computer matches the name on the carte gris (the old owner), then you willl not have a problem. If they receive and act on the notification from the seller, then it will be your name on the computer and likewise it will all match up.

2) Depends on the insurer. I just walk into the broker with the new CG & walk out with a new insurance document.

Many thanks Nick

Sorry about that, I was a bit bleary eyed by the time I finished trawling the search last night. I think I got confused as one old post lead me to believe that if the Prefecture computer didn't show the car as sold you couldn't get the CG.

Also my insurance don't have an office, its all done by post and internet. But it's no longer a problem as I will go to the prefecture first thing, pick up my new number plate and then insure it after.

Many thanks

Just to add to Nick's points...

You have a month in which to register the change of ownership.  You will have the certificat de cession which is proof that you now own it, so you can either do it straight away or at your leisure.

Normal procedure for the insurance is to pop into your insurers with the old carte grise and they'll amend your policy contract to reflect the new vehicle details and issue a certificate covering the car under that registration number.  Then, as Nick says, when you show them the new carte grise, they'll issue a fresh certificate showing the new number.

Don't forget, you need your usual proof of identity and address for the prefecture....[;-)]

Many thanks Sunday Driver

I pick up the vehicle tonight (by trailer). I will call to the Prefecture first thing tomorrow, I am pretty sure they are open Mondays. That way I will have the new reg number before I insure it.

I read a lot of your replies to previous posts regarding this so I know what I need, I even have your link to the website where I can print off the Certificate de non gage.

Once again thanks

Hello.

I might be buying a new car next week (used).

I currently use a broker who deals with Generali and the premium seems a little bit high.

Problem is that I didn't realise this until after signing up for another year a few months ago. [:$]

My question is: can I cancel my current policy (annual contract ends next summer) even though my current vehicle is not yet sold - using the rationale that I won't be using the thing any longer? I don't think I will be able to, will I?

I tried getting quotes through the Assurland website and they didn't return any quote from Direct Assurance, but when I went on the Direct Assurance website they returned a really cheap quote! Obviously I'm going to ring them and they'll probably come up with some reason for doubling the internet quote; but until then I live in hope of being able to insure the new car with them.

Any ideas as to how I'm might cancel the insurance on my current car and go with a new insurer for the new one?

I'm thinking that if I do have to insure both cars - for the time being at least - that it would be cheaper doing it with a new insurer anyway; is that possible?

Cheers and sorry for the hijack! [:P]

Continuous insurance is a legal requirement, so you will have to maintain the policy on the 'old' vehicle until such time as it has been sold.

Rights of cancellation are set out in the policy's terms and conditions.  I suspect you will find that there is no right of cancellation until either the renewal time or when the vehicle has been sold. 

You are free to contract with another insurer for your 'new' car.

That's it all done!!

I went to the prefecture at 9am this morning, handed the gentleman my documents. He typed it all in and pointed me to the cashier. I paid and she handed me the carte gris, she even gave me a smile, and coming from a French bureaucrat made me feel very special indeed. I was out by five past 9.

My friends don't like going there as they always get sent away. In the years I have been here I have been 3 times. Apart from the first time when I got sent away for not having the CoC, which was my fault, the other times have been completely painless.

Thanks for the help and thanks to Sunday Driver for the link to print off the Certificate de non gage, it was easy.

[quote user="derf"][quote user="Bones"]Great!

Better get it sold rapido then. [;-)]

Cheers SD.

[/quote]

And if you do sell the car[;-)] the insurance company will want to see proof of the sale to cancel the policy.[:)]

[/quote]

[Www]

Opas: there's a thread on that somewhere with all the info.

I think change of address is free but change of ownership costs on average 35 euros per CV (the cheval fiscal thingy - not the horse power).

My car is rated at 7 but because it's over ten years old the 35 euro rate is halved.

So I paid 17 euros(ish) x 7 for my CG when I registered it.

Check out the thread for a detailed explanation: SD posted a link to find out your car's CV rating.

Ah, does sound a bit odd when you put it that way!

I think this is why it's always a good idea to check out the CV rating before you buy used, I mean if you want to buy something cheapish, and it's just under ten years old, plus the CV rating is over twenty... that would equal .... around 700 euros to register! [:-))]

Not sure how many vehicles have cv ratings that high.