corrugated asbestos

It depends, that is if it really is asbestos. These fibro-cement sheets were commonly referred to as "asbestos" long after they ceased to contain any actual asbestos fibres.

Before any sale can go through there has to be an asbestos survey (paid by seller) and you can make a good result on this a condition of the sale.

[quote]Should I be concerned if a property I am looking at has a large barn with a corrugated asbestos roof? thanks Hamish[/quote]

When we bought our small barn the asbestos report which has to be done by the vendor and is compulsory, showed that the roof is corrugated asbestos. Apparently this is the least dangerous asbestos and the builders don't seem too worried about it.

You only need to worry about asbestos roof sheets if they are damaged or you want to replace them.  If the building is pre 1975 it is almost certainly asbestos cement sheeting.  However, if left alone, this material will last for years and is and was the best form of fire protection.  If youy have plans to disturb it, then you need to take strict precautions with the removal and disposal.

Guest CFrost

Hi all, just thought I would post a general query about the corrugated asbestos whilst we a re all chattin about it .  We have the corrugated and sheet type asbestos which we want to remove.  It is all still in full pieces and my query is, where do I get rid of it too?? Can I take it to the local dechetterie on a prior arrangement, or do we have to employ some guys n gals in white overalls and breathing apparatus to clear it away??  We are in dept 17, any advice would be greatly appreciated, many thanks in advance

Kimberley

Unfortunately, my local dechetterie (Sauze vaussais 79) said they would not be able to accept asbestos sheets and the manager could not advise of a licensed company to contact. In my case, I will find a company via the internet, unless someone can advise safe dispossal in 79.

Mike

Ron Avery is spot on. Pre-1985ish corrugated roof sheets are probably asbestos cement. The asbestos fibres are bound into a cement matrix - only dangerous if the fibres are released into the air by cutting dry with power tools or breaking them (e.g. letting them fall to the ground then walking or running over them with vehicles).

If the roof sheets are in good condition they can be safely left in place.

If the roof has to be removed the sheets should be lowered to the ground (whole if possible), sprayed with water to prevent fibre release in case the sheets are damaged, bagged, labelled, stored in a locked skip (so they cannot be stolen) then sent to a tip licensed to receive asbestos.

In UK you don't have to use an HSE licensed asbestos removal contractor for asbestos cement (you do for all other forms of asbestos). All this makes disposal expensive.

Jon