Resident or not?

Richard

Could you register your car in France but keep both sets of plates - use the French ones for the UK and English for France?   Saves a fortune on speeding fines, road tax, insurance etc.

Or you could go for the boring answer based on where the car spends most of its time.

Sorry Tony but it's nothing whatsoever to do with where you pay your tax or, if you pay it at all.

Richard, you don't say whether the car, or cars, will remain in France or not but if they do then foreign vehicles are only permitted to remain in the country for 6 months out of any 12 before you are obliged to register them.

If you are to and fro with them then on the basis you indicate then you'll probably be OK on your existing UK plates but check carefully with your insurance that you are fully covered for the periods you anticapte being out of UK.

As long as your UK policy is in force you will always be covered for the minimum cover required in France but the comprehensive cover will usually be limited to 30, 60 or perhaps 90 days a year. There are some companies who will insuere you for any period, Saga for instance, and one or two others who's names escape me at this moment.

I will still be paying UK tax.

Cars will be back and forward, but difficult to say exactly for how long.

Insurance wise, Toyota insurance will cover uk and abroad for( in my case) only £35 extra, and thats fully comp. - and they don't only insure Toyota's.

When the car has been here for more than 6 months and has been noticed by the local cops, you will probably find that the onus is on you to prove that it has not been here for more than 6 months.

Are you asking if you can break the law and get away with it?

[quote user="Bob T"]When the car has been here for more than 6 months and has been noticed by the local cops, you will probably find that the onus is on you to prove that it has not been here for more than 6 months.
Are you asking if you can break the law and get away with it?
[/quote]

Well if he is the answer is YES[:)]

Judging by the cars that are still UK registered as they were when I moved here over 3 years ago.

I think the record is about 10 years and still counting.

[quote user="Richard"]as far as the 6 month rules concerned, do they actually have any means of checking?[/quote]Technically, given the motivation, almost certainly yes, but in a real world practical sense its just never going to happen. You should however never completely lose sight of the fact that, as Bob T says, come the day, the onus would be on you to prove otherwise.

Bottom line Richard is that, other than ensuring you do not spend one single day over the 6 months in France, I don't believe that there is a definitive answer to this situation. The law is an a55 (nanny wouldn't let me write a s s !) and sometimes, even with the best will in the world, it is just not possible to comply with it to the letter but if your movements are to be as described and you have valid driving licences and insurance and are acting in good faith (= not taking the pi55 by spending 9 months) then I really don't see that you have anything at all to worry about in keeping your cars UK registered.

Sorry Bob but your warning about the local cops noticing a car is ridiculous and about as valid as the chances of them knocking on your door to ask if you've filled in a French tax return, i.e. less than zero. Besides which these vehicles will not be in one place for 6 months will they but backwards and forwards so, as over endowed with staff as French government departments are alleged to be, somehow I can't quite envisage anybody staking out someones home to see if their cars spend more than 183 days there !

You can't really call the law an a55 just because it places limitations on someone's chosen lifestyle.  The definitive answer is for the OP to ensure his periodic visits to France fall within the prescribed time limits.  If he prefers not to comply, then he must accept the risk, however small it may be.

As far as there being a less than zero chance of someone knocking on your door to ask if you've filled in a French tax return, see the other current thread on income tax registration...[;-)]

[quote user="Richard"]

Ernie,

as far as the 6 month rules concerned, do they actually have any means of checking?

When we book Eurotunnel we dont have to specify which car we're talking.

[/quote]

Returning to the old argument yet again! Are they bothered about cars here on a permanent basis on U.K. plates with no U.K. tax or MOT. Not a bit me-thinks!!![:@]

That is not until something happens peut etra???

I am still undecided on whether to become French resident or not, mainly due to healthcare. If I choose to stay UK resident and comply with the 183 days rule, is it possible to register my ancient Citroen 2cv on French plates? It will be in France permamnently although we may not.

Thanks for the advice but I like the idea of driving it around with French plates. Besides, it's MOT runs out in December and I don't want to have to take it back to the UK to get it legal for UK plates - as it's over 25yo I think I can apply in France for CT exemption if it's registered here.

[quote user="oldgit72"]Thanks for the advice but I like the idea of driving it around with French plates. [/quote]

Yes, it does carry a certain cachet.

What a shame the departmental regs are about to vanish.

I was so proud to be a 69'er. [:'(]

[quote user="Sunday Driver"]The definitive answer is for the OP to ensure his periodic visits to France fall within the prescribed time limits.[/quote]Which is what I said but equally, according to this, should our OP say fall ill in France, or have to deal with a sudden crisis, thus unfortunately straying just one single day over the limit then suddenly he's a French resident !

If that doesn't make the law an a55......................[blink]

Here's a question for you.

We are French resident - have Carte Vitales the lot.

Since we started to feel it was too cold here in the winter we bought a little apartment in the Canaries.

We love the warmth there and each year we tend to stay just that little bit longer. (May can be a bit chilly even down here in the PO)

If we happen to spend longer than 183 days away from France in a year, does that make us Spanish residents?

How does it work?

Hiya, old git.

We have reregiestered our old 2CV (born in 1986 so not as old as yours).

It recently passed its controle technique here so we are legal for two more years.

Who looks after yours?

Is it you?

Are you anywhere near us?

Perpignan 66.