MOT in France

biggerears

Bigears, are you "the other" bigears (we already have one on this forum)? 

I think I've seen this same question asked elsewhere, but the poster used  a different username, and was asking on behalf of his son (a keen photographer) ?

Think they lived in the Dordogne somewhere?  Can't quite remember where I read it and what the chap was called (although I'm sure it will come back to me) but was it you? 

No Cat, This is my first question.  I did search for an answer but could not locate one on the forum.  If someone else is called bigears I can always change my name to avoid confusion.

The reason by the way is that I have bought a car in France to take to the UK (it was a lot cheaper in France).  To register in the UK I must have an MOT.  I understand they will not accept a CT (which the car has).  It would be convienient to have one (MOT) before driving it in the UK otherwise I must drive it straight to an MOT ststion and leave it off road untill registration is complete.  This can take 72 hours.

Thank you for your comments.

Phew, that's a relief biggerears, as the chap I was thinking of (not the original bigears, but the poster "elsewhere" from Dordogne)  made quite a habit of posting provocative questions on this forum, and also on Yahoo answers, a national newspaper forum, and a few other places. Had a list of sockpuppets miles long, and even pretended to be his own son! 

Glad to hear that you're not the same chap [:)]

Not to worry.  Looks like I will have to put the car off the road for a few days.  It was a long shot.  I figure it is the station that gets the licence to do MOTs and not the person.  Had it been a person then it would have been practical.  It is a pity that the MOT and CT are not interchangeable.

Thanks for your assistance.

[quote user="Anton Redman"]Looked at the logistics some years ago with French CT station owner and could not remember but I think the DVLA ? won't license outside the OK because it would cost too much to inspect.[/quote]

Would that be the OK corral ..........another cowboy [:P]

I think it is possible to do everything quite quickly, but you need to choose the right location for the MOT test and registration office so you can personally get between the two easily. Surely though, if the car is registered in France, and has all the legal requirements there you can continue driving it on the French registration and insurance etc. until it becomes "British".

As for a DoT or whatever approved MOT station in France, sounds like a good idea, but a shame it can't be done. What about those who legitimately take their UK registered car to France for 3 months and the MOT expires two months into the trip. At present the only option is to lose two months of the MOT by getting it tested before going, or a quick return trip. I'll bet a lot of people drive illegally in France (and on return to the UK) for this reason.

[quote user="andyps"]

I think it is possible to do everything quite quickly, but you need to choose the right location for the MOT test and registration office so you can personally get between the two easily. Surely though, if the car is registered in France, and has all the legal requirements there you can continue driving it on the French registration and insurance etc. until it becomes "British".

As for a DoT or whatever approved MOT station in France, sounds like a good idea, but a shame it can't be done. What about those who legitimately take their UK registered car to France for 3 months and the MOT expires two months into the trip. At present the only option is to lose two months of the MOT by getting it tested before going, or a quick return trip. I'll bet a lot of people drive illegally in France (and on return to the UK) for this reason.

[/quote]

In the example mentioned here only one month would be lost as 1 month from an existing MOT can be added

[quote user="andyps"]

[/quote]

That did occur to me (using French Insurance on the car in UK as a visitor) but it seems the moment you apply (with V55/5) for registration you MUST be insured with a UK motor Insurance company, must have an MOT and you must keep the car 'off road'.