Fan Belt Replacement - Cost

Sharkster

I think I have a dodgy fan belt on my car.  I started the car this morning and after about 15-30 seconds of driving, there was a loud screech coming from the engine.  I pulled over and looked under the bonnet and the noise was coming from the passenger side, near where the timing belt is (and I guess the alternator and fan belt).  I started to drive to the garage, which is about another 2-3 minutes away and before I arrived, the noise had completely gone.  I have an appointment with the garage tomorrow, but curious if a) my diagnosis is likely to be right b) what is the expected cost of replacement - the garage is an independent and not a main dealer.  Also, what the consequences of using the car today i.e. what if the fan belt snaps?

If the fan belt snaps while driving then the radiator cooling fan the water pump and the alternator stop working. Depending  on how hot the engine was when this happened you then have a short distance which you can drive without doing something serious AKA expensive to the engine. Fan belt is courroire de ventilateur. The noise could also be the power sterring belt.

Belt could cost anything between € 10 and € 60 fitting should be half an hour but will probably be more.

thanks Anton, I would only be using the car locally until tomorrow, but I head you warnings.  Not sure if it makes a difference, but when the noise came, I switched off the engine and then switched it back on and revved the engine whilst in neutral and the noise came back.  Would this rule out the power steering belt?

Quote - Screeching noise could be water pump or alternator bearings rather than a loose drive belt.

The water pump was replaced in the summer of last year.  The alternator was replaced both in the summer of last year and then again under warranty about 4-5 months later (both these repairs carried out be the Renault main dealer, along with the replacement of the timing belt).  I had somewhat of an expensive meltdown in my engine, which involved my alternator burning out and the water pump ceasing.

From what you have described, unless your ignition warning light is on whilst driving you have not snapped the belt, it just needs retensioning.

The maximum load from the alternator is placed on the belt just after starting the engine, it is for this reason that a slightly slack belt will slip and squeal initially then maintain its grip once the battery is partially recharged.

On most modern cars the tension of the alternator belt is automatic this belt may also drive the air con and power steering, and the water pump is often driven by the timing belt.

I would not worry about it, but get it checked when you have the opportunity to do so.

[quote user="gosub"]On most modern cars the tension of the alternator belt is automatic this belt may also drive the air con and power steering, .......................................
[/quote]

Well, I have been out of the motor trade for some time now, but I have never seen an alternator/fan belt with an automatic tensioner.

Cam belts yes, but never a fan/alternator belt.

What vehicles have this arrangement 'gosub'?

I agree, never seen a tensioner on a fan belt and don't really see what relevance the make and model has to this sort of problem either.

Easiest way to determine if it is just a slack fanbelt is to spray a little water on it whilst it's screeching, if it stops immediately then that's your problem.

[quote user="Bugbear"]

[quote user="gosub"]On most modern cars the tension of the alternator belt is automatic this belt may also drive the air con and power steering, .......................................

[/quote]

Well, I have been out of the motor trade for some time now, but I have never seen an alternator/fan belt with an automatic tensioner.

Cam belts yes, but never a fan/alternator belt.

What vehicles have this arrangement 'gosub'?

[/quote]

It must be a long time that you have been out of the motor trade[:)] It might be wrong to call them fan belts, the cooling fan is now mostly electrically driven, the belts nowadays are mainly wide ribbed "Poly V Belts" auxiliary drive belts and run all the accessories on the modern car they have been around since 1979, and increasingly were fitted with automatic tensioners. Renault, Citroen, in fact most manufacturers.

My own vehicle (Citroen) which is now 10 years old, has an automatic tensioner on the auxiliary drive belt.

Have a look here for an example. Belts

Well my fan belt got a clean bill of health from the garage, but he wants me to come back next week, so he can try and find out what caused the problem.  Since yesterday morning there has been  no more noises.  It is a scary noise for the uninitiated though:)