Petrol containers

PaulT

I believe it is illegal to fill containers with petrol in France.

A person in front of me was stopped filling his cans was and shown a copy of the regulations.

"Well how can I get petrol for my mower then?" he asked.

"Do what everybody else does and wait till we are closed then use the automatic card system"

[quote user="Mik from LA"]I believe it is illegal to fill containers with petrol in France.[:-))][:-))]
A person in front of me was stopped filling his cans was and shown a copy of the regulations.
"Do what everybody else does and wait till we are closed then use the automatic card system"[8-)]
[/quote]

Those rules might apply during fuel shortages but never heard of any such ban and have filled cans up many times in the last few years.  Just get an approved red or green petrol can from a garage or supermarket or use the ones you had in the UK, so long as they are proper fuel cans there is no reason why you cannot fill them at the pump.  The only problem is if you want petrol and have a diesel car, you have to pay for one lot before you can put in the next different lot, so doing it when its quiet might be an idea or use the CB pump.

[quote user="P2"]

Need to buy some petrol for garden tools. Are there any peculiarities in France or would I be ok using the normal types of container that are used in the UK?

Paul

[/quote]

Bizarre!

We have filled our red French fuel can up many many times at various fuel stations, & not once has anyone questioned it.

If it's illegal, then why would the cans be on sale everywhere & how on earth is anyone expected to fuel up their garden machinery?

[quote user="Mik from LA"]I believe it is illegal to fill containers with petrol in France.
"Do what everybody else does and wait till we are closed then use the automatic card system"
[/quote]

There was a ban on filling petrol containers during the last fuel delivery strike, and in the affected departments, the prefects issued a banning order.  At our SuperU, a copy was cellotaped to the petrol pumps.

Otherwise, if the container is a proper one designed for fuel, then there's no problem.

The restriction, to which I referred, was not connected with the oil strike. It is on a sheet of paper in the window of the payment kiosk. It appears to be a local by-law (Haute Garonne). I too have filled up all sorts of containers without challenge. It seems to depend on whether you have a jobsworth assistant.

[quote user="Mik from LA"]The restriction, to which I referred, was not connected with the oil strike. It is on a sheet of paper in the window of the payment kiosk. It appears to be a local by-law (Haute Garonne). I too have filled up all sorts of containers without challenge. It seems to depend on whether you have a jobsworth assistant.
[/quote]

Oooh, its in 31 that we have our house - luckily, we are near the border with 32 so will have to resort to petrol running [:D]

sorry Sorry SORRY I just asked at the petrol station and was told by the cashier that it is legal to fill cans with petrol. When I asked, she said as far as she knew it has always been legal. I know I am getting senile but I definitely saw a man refused and saw the paper explaining why (and this was before the delivery strike).

Isn't the standard regulation along the lines of no more than 5 litres in an approved container in your vehicle and 20 litres on your premises?  The standard, generally unobserved and widely ignored regulation, that is?  Given that I and many others around here regularly fill up a 10 litre and a 5 litre container for the garden machinery.  Plus a 20 litre container of paraffin for the poele.  Just don't hit the car and expect to come out alive - it'll be like a car crash scene from Starsky and Hutch.

[img]http://www.health-safety-signs.uk.com/productimages/Petrol-Hazchem.gif[/img]