Peugeot 307 fuel additive ?

Quillan

I have a 307 (diesel 2.0ltr HDI) and was thinking about servicing it myself. I can buy the air filters, oil filter and oil in the supermarket, so far so good. Then I notice (in the hand book) that there is some form of reservoir in the car that holds a fuel additive which is refilled by the service mechanics. What I want to know is what is this additive, what does it do, can I refill it myself, what is it called and where do I get it from?

These diesels have a soot filter known called

a FAP. It works by burning the soot off every few thousand miles. The additive is

called Eolys which is stored next to the diesel tank with a

computer controlled dosing mechanism.

Now you should be able to buy it somehwere, but I wouldn't like to guess where! 

Lorry air brake anti-freeze used to be carbon tetrochloride (drying cleaning fluid), and for years it was difficult to buy over the counter, because the dealers want to sell it!

I bet this additive tank it's just a plastic bottle with a screw cap!!!

That was quick, thanks.

Now I have the name of the stuff I have done a search on google which turned up some interesting information plus a description of how it works. Getting it topped up or refilled seems to be rather expensive but the it appears to last a long time, 80,000 miles which I guess is around 120,000kms. I think I will first try and find where its stored in the car and then if I can get some then top it up. Apparently looking at some websites you can't use the lorry stuff as it works in a different way.

Give me a Ford Cortina engine any day, fuel, spark, bang (or not if its a diesel) and off you go [;-)] .

I don't have any warning lights, messages etc on at the moment. I originally thought this was something that was done every service and was included in the price. How stupid can a bloke get, nothing is ever that simple.

I did have some alarm about a year ago, something about pollution and they changed a sensor which cost about 100+ Euros, don't now if this was to do with this issue or not.

From reading 'Honest John' and a few others I was hoping to be preemptive and just fill it up and carry on. Now it appears it works on some form of counter which when it times out thats it, even if you have half a tank left. After reading one blokes post, although he did have a warning message, and the cost of getting it all reset (in both time and money) I wondering if I should  even bother, any thoughts?

If you are a Citroen or Renault diesel owner dont get too smug, they all have this system it seems, well in modernish cars anyway.

If you want to know the consequence of the particulates filter in the Cit/Perg engines and what they can cost then have a gander at this...

http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/1/984574/ShowPost.aspx#984574.

The idea of the partic filter is to stop all the black smoke rubbish being chucked out of the back of the car on acceleration. This site gives the principle

http://www.citroenet.org.uk/miscellaneous/5th-stroke/images/5thstrokebig.gif

I was a member of a diesel forum that gave a boat load of info on this, but I can't find it since we got a new laptop? I will keep looking though...

[quote user="LyndaandRichard"]How will you get the little servicing spanner to stop flashing at you on the dash?
[/quote]

This might help L&R?

http://www.scantool.net/forum/index.php?topic=964.0;prev_next=prev

Edit:- Quillan, I have just found yet another site that gives a definate fix if you ever get in the position of the 'get you home mode' kicking in. It's a cracker!!

http://www.citroen-owners-club.co.uk/citroen/lofiversion/index.php?t7037.html

Well it made me laugh anyway. The bloke is obviously a great mechanic (or is that maniac?) It is a C8, but essentially the same engine?

<< Give me a Ford Cortina engine any day, fuel, spark, bang (or not if its a diesel) and off you go >>

The day I see a pre cross flow, Kent or Pinto engine with 200,000 miles up without a rebuild I will be amazed. I have made 150,000 miles out of an A series but it did have an oil cooler with thermostat,K&N air filter and oil changes very 3,000 miles.and a lot of tender loveing care in the engine build in the first place

[quote user="Anton Redman"]

<< Give me a Ford Cortina engine any day, fuel, spark, bang (or not if its a diesel) and off you go >>

The day I see a pre cross flow, Kent or Pinto engine with 200,000 miles up without a rebuild I will be amazed. I have made 150,000 miles out of an A series but it did have an oil cooler with thermostat,K&N air filter and oil changes very 3,000 miles.and a lot of tender loveing care in the engine build in the first place

[/quote]

An A series? bloody hell!!!!!