Selling my elderly car

Cerise

I am buying another car and wish to get rid of my existing elderly car.  The garage have offered me something for the car, but now I have someone else who wishes to buy it.  Somewhere in back of my mind I feel that if I sell car it has to have a CT of less than 6 months.  As car is only worth a few hundred euros I don't wish to splash out on it, it will probably pass as it did last year but neverthe less ... - is it a legal requirement for it to have the CT or can a person 'buy as seen'?

Sorry if this has been covered before.

I found this by Sunday Driver...

[quote user="Sunday Driver"]

You must produce a CT certificate that is no more than six months old when you register the change of ownership at your prefecture.  ...

You can, of course, negotiate a reduction in the price and get the CT done yourself after buying the car, but you would then be liable to the cost of any repairs....

[/quote]

It's from the buyer's perspective rather than the sellers, but you get the picture.

As has been said, the 6 month CT issue is only legally relevant for registration, outwith that you can sell it with as much or as little CT as you like.

If you do however I would been very careful to get a written statement from the buyer along the lines that he accepts it 'as seen' and absolves you of any responsibility or liability for any faults, both apparent at the point of sale or subsequently discovered.

Don't worry Ernie - not a hidden classic.  A 13 year old Xantia.  It's actually in very good condition but it has done 270,000 km and I'm changing it before it starts needing major money spent.  Mr Cerise has classic cars, so we have 4 cars in total and I don't want it left hanging around unsold when I get the newer one.  Extravagent all these cars, but the insurance on the oldies (TR6 and 2CV being restored) is peanuts and I've always said the day we can't afford a hobby is the day we leave the country.

OH been working on ours for the last year - hoping to take for CT in the New Year and then ready to roll - slowly[:)]!  Bought it as a runner but appalling bodywork and he has been restoring it bit by bit, his great joy and passion.  The TR is restored and working order and we use it for runs out with the club we belong too.  I love 2CVs so think I might adopt that for local trips when it is finisg=hed.  What's yours like?