Assurance attestation

nectarine

We've just moved and registered our car with a French number plate and I have been to our insurance agent to get a quote. He says that all our UK no-claims is invalid and we will start with no bonus UNLESS we can get an assurance attestation from our current UK insurers. Now we have 8 years' no claims, but have only been with the UK insurer for one year, to which the French insurance agent said that the UK insurer can only give us one year, and for the remaining seven years we must contact every previous insurer (there's a couple, we were canny about changing insurers for cheaper quotes) in order to build up a complete history of our claim-free period. I explained that in the UK every insurer passes on to the new one a letter of confirmation, and that the new insurer takes that on board and passes it onwards if you change again. Nope, he says, doesn't work like that in France .... you must get a letter from every company confirming your claim-free period of insurance with them, and then he can put them together and see that you genuinely do have an eight-year span without claim.

Obviously this is going to be a nightmare. Our current UK insurer will obviously oblige, but if I go back to the insurer from six years ago then I doubt even he or I have records!

Can anyone give me advice on this, or recommend an insurer who will take on our no-claims bonus with a letter of proof from our current provider?

Sorry if this is rambling on, but all advice is most welcome!

As BaF says go to another company.

I had a letter (in english) from my UK insurers stating that I had fifteen years no claims (that was how long I'd been with them). The french company gave me nine years and I was happy with that as it gives me the maximum allowable here.

Do you not have a renewal notice from your UK insurer as they usually indicate earned bonuses.

Good luck

Gary.

edit: We are with Generale (used to be Zurich)

Thanks, yes I have a renewal notice from my current insurers saying that I have eight years' no claims. The point that is being made by the French insurers is that not all those years were with the same insurer, which is why they want every insurer in that chain to confirm a claim-free period.

I had the same problem when I moved to France, I had to chase ALL my insurance companies in the UK for copies of no-claim bonuses.  It took weeks.  You have to keep up with phoning to find out where it is.  I also posted a letter to them asking formally for it.  (phone calls alone do not guarantee anything).  They will send it to your old address in the UK or another address in the UK. 

I had a Peugoet 206 1.4lt hdi, they told me that they could not prove my no-claims, and they took me as a 1st time driver (no amount of convincing him could change this), I was quoted 1,400 euro!!!!!  I finally had the document sent to me, went to another (matmut) and they gave me a price of 560 euro per year, full risk.  I have been told by my french girlfriend that directline is the cheapest.  I went with AGF in Lyon, I would advise that you contact M. J.L Roche, he is even used to insuring bigger engines (V6's to V12's) and has no problem insuring a vehicle with UK plates.  His contact details are: 04 74 89 10 90

Once you have your UK no claim bonuses, I advise you do several photocopies, and keep them in the house, they are invaluable here!

Good luck

David

[quote user="Boiling a frog"]

Go to another insurance coy.

We insured our cars with a letter from our UK insurers saying we had maximum no claims bonus.

[/quote]

We have had this debate before it used to be 13 years accident free driving to get the 50% or so off now it seems that its who you go to and who you speak to.  CA (Pacifica) and Groupama are happy to take a UK no claims bonus of 3 + years and give you the full 50% off.  But the cost of the premium is not everything, find out about replacement cars, excesses and how quick you get your bonus back in the event of a blameworthy accident, that can make a big difference if you do have an accident.  With some insurers it can take 10 or more years to get your premiums back to what they were prior to your prang that is why I moved to Pacifica. What they are more interested in here is accident free driving rather than claim free, so try telling AXA its an attestaion of being accident free or go to another insurer.  Surprised that AXA are so picky they seem to insure every non-CT'd brit reg'd car I 've seen in the last year or so!!