car radio code

JohnRoss

I have a Renault Megane bought new in 2001. During the recent cold spell the battery went flat and as a result the radio is asking for the code to make it work. Had a look through all the paperwork and have not found anything that says Radio Code. Found a four digit code and a longer code starting with VF on the back of the service book but it does not like this four digit code which starts with a zero. When you enter the code the display shows four zeros to start with. 

So is there anywhere I should be looking on the car or the paperwork to find this code? Trouble is that every time you try to enter a code and it is not correct the time before you can try again doubles and I have tried three times already.I could go to the dealer but I have read they often charge to give the code and sites on the web charge quite a lot to supply the code. Any suggestions welcome.....................................JR 

Haven't owned a Renault, but for the cars I have owned, the radio code was always on a separate card (about the size of a credit card). 

Before you call the dealer (I can't imagine why they would charge for this, but...), have you tried going to the Renault website?  There may be a link for getting this; it might require registration and you will probably need to have your vehicle number (in the US, that's posted on the driver's side door).

Good luck!

I have no experience of Renault, but Audi are happy to give you the code for the radio (FOC) provided you can prove that you are the rightful owner of the vehicle.

I would presume Renault would do the same.

Alternatively, If you google Renault Radio Codes, there will, almost certainly be some help on there.

A tip: Some radios give you three attempts at the code before totally blocking you.

Renault charge the public for codes - approx 15€ I was told. However, if you know a friendly mechanic, get them to ask for it on your behalf as Renault generally dont charge other garages. He will have to say he disconnected the battery to work on the car for some valid reason, and they will supply him the code for free. We did this for my sisters Scenic a while back.

Have a look at either the front or back page of the service manual, that's where we found my mate's code, but I can't remember what exactly it was called.

Edit, it was probably this four figure code:-

[quote user="JohnRoss"]Found a four digit code ...............on the back of the service book [/quote]

Thanks for the replies folks. I have looked at every piece of paper I can find to do with the car but the only 4 digit code I have found is on the back of the service book and that it does not like. I note that my other car, a Scenic, has a 4 digit code on a small piece of paper marked radio. It also has a 4 digit code on the back of its service book. I will find out which is correct if the battery fails on that one sometime.

Sadly I do not know a car mechanic friendly or otherwise, I think I will have to go to the dealer. Others have said both here and in another place that they charge for supplying the code, I hope not. They have already made enough profit out of me in supplying two cars in the last 8 years. Something I will remind them of should it be necessary!..........................JR

PS I am not sure about putting it in the freezer as someone suggested but others have indicated that it is truly an old wives' tale and might promote rust!

Ok thanks for that. I have tried the last four digits of that number but no go I am afraid. I noticed that when you put in the four digits and having put in the last one the first one starts flashing again. I don't know if you are supposed to push the enter button and hold for the bleep before this happens because if so only less than a second to do this before the first digit starts to flash again! Thanks for the info..........................JR

PS Trouble is every time I try to enter a code and get it wrong the time delay before I can try again doubles!

As was suggested earlier, if you google 'Radio code Renault uk' you will find several sites which, for about £5 will supply you by email with the code for your radio.

I did it when I had the same problem with my Renault Kangoo. The dealer wanted €20 to provide it.

You will need the serial number of the radio (about 14 digits) to do this.

cheminot

Yes thanks I have looked but no new info I am afraid. I think I will see what the French dealer will charge if anything. If too much of a rip-off I will try one of those web sites, don't really want to take the radio out if I can help it......................JR