Low cost new(ish) Cars

sueyh

i'd like to know too.

we will need to buy a replacement car in may when we return to france.

our local citroen garage say that they can't get hold of a new C1 basic model until november!!

we can't wait that long.

an online supplier was offering one with 6 week delivery but i was a bit scared of doing this.

advice from the experienced please.

actually, a second hand C1 would do us fine too.

it's just that we are used to our local garage and need to be reassured that other places are ok to hand over our hard earned money to.

Being in the market for a new car I checked out their site. They certainly do show a saving on the makers list price, which got me to wondering......

The car of interest, in France is at euro 27,190  discounted to £ equiv 22,464

The same car (albeit with the steering wheel on the other side) is discounted to c.£15000 in the UK

Why are cars almost 50% more expensive in France, and is a saving of  £7,464 worth having a 'wrong side steering wheel' ?

Because Citroen sell on price in UK. Offering more or less fleet discount to the ordinary punter.

The last C15 vans could be bought new for £3499 you will pay that for a secondhand one here.

Check out prices of LHD cars in Portugal, Spain and Germany.

What export tax?  We're all good Europeans now!

You would have to pay Spanish VAT at 16% and pay 3.6% more when you registered it in France as the rate is 19.6%.

I don't know if you would pay Spanish road tax (around €85) or I presume there are export procedures available to save this.

Be careful - cars in Spain attract a luxury tax as well as VAT, as do cars in Holland. If you dont buy tax free from Spain you will end up paying more.

this is why some manufacturers are giving different deals in different countries.

Peter

[quote user="Dog"]

Because Citroen sell on price in UK. Offering more or less fleet discount to the ordinary punter.

The last C15 vans could be bought new for £3499 you will pay that for a secondhand one here.

Check out prices of LHD cars in Portugal, Spain and Germany.

[/quote]

A quick check at prices in Germany showed almost the same price as France for the car I am interested in.

I have nothing to do with these folk but ... it might be worth enquiring since they offer LHD Citroens.  No guarantees but worth a shot?

Quote ""

I have had a look for you, we can

supply Honda, VW, Citroen and Renault in LHD, these will be to UK specification

only. Unfortunately we can not supply any EU specification cars. Also with LHD’s,

they are made to order and can take between 3-6months to be ready for

collection.

Many Thanks

Claire Firth

Forces Cars Direct

Main Office Tel: 0044 (0) 1522 814010

Free Phone (from Germany): 0800 1800 119

Fax: 0044 (0) 1522 814011

Web Site: www.forcescarsdirect.com'' endquote