Car Insurance - What chance the expat in the steet

AnOther

AXA are particularly well known for flaunting the rules regarding insuring UK regged cars but here it is in print from someone one would hope to know better.

http://www.frenchentree.com/languedoc-herault-gard-mortgage-insurance/displayarticle.asp?id=12958

Without the benefit of factual advice from forums such as this (or is that despite it [Www]) is it any surprise that so many walk on the wild side in blissful ignorance [blink]

Reading Mr Stokers missive again I noticed this; (my bold)

AXA policies are based on the driving record of the main driver, named in the policy-documents. However, all occasional drivers of the vehicle are automatically insured at no additional cost. The only limit is with regard to drivers who have only recently obtained their licence (within 3 years), and who are not personally insured for another vehicle; additional excess charges would be applied should such a driver cause an accident. This exception does not apply to the spouse or employee of the main, named driver.

The 'personally insured for another vehicle' bit is news to me and if true is quite significant. Anyone care to comment on the accuracy of his statement ?

"Read your policy" I'm sure someone will say but unfortunately I don't have the facility to do this at present besides I'm more interested in if this is a general rule applied by the majority of French insurers, is AXA specific, or is complete BS.

Yep, and I'm going to be the one to say it : read YOUR policy, or the

terms of any prospective policy you are thinking about taking out, the

terms of any other policy are not relevant to you.

The limitiation

concerning those with newly acquired licences or who are not insured on

a vehicle themselves is logical: it prevents young people driving a car

in mum's name to get cheaper insurance, and uninsurable folk with a bad

driving record from sneaking into the driver's seat on someone else's policy.

We have 3 vehicles insured with AXA. 2 are due for renewal shortly, so I clicked into Assurland to look at other prices: I found some cheap-looking deals, until I went into the small print. I shall do what I do every year, pop in to see the lovely lady who has looked after us for over 15 years, through floods and hailstorms, and see what she can do. I have never yet paid the price on the renewal letter

[quote user="ErnieY"]

Thought about it sweets, got his email address stoker@axa.fr [:)]

Edit: Make that agence.stoker@axa.fr 

[/quote]

I suppose that they actually mention that you have to register is an improvement on the Connexion and the AXA norm.  Three months can be the limit for registration, remember that single vehicle C de Cs can take longer throuygh DRIRE than the one month norm. If you E mail him Ern ask him why his english speaking agent in Villefranche in 12 has just issued at least the third years' insurance on a UK reg'd Ford Galaxy without a CT and a Nova both seen regularly around the town?

" AXA policies are based on the driving record of the main driver, named in the policy-documents. However, all occasional drivers of the vehicle are automatically insured at no additional cost. The only limit is with regard to drivers who have only recently obtained their licence (within 3 years), and who are not personally insured for another vehicle; additional excess charges would be applied should such a driver cause an accident. This exception does not apply to the spouse or employee of the main, named driver. The 'personally insured for another vehicle' bit is news to me and if true is quite significant. Anyone care to comment on the accuracy of his statement ? "

Based on conversations with both Mutuel de Poitiers and Local AXA rep. Specefic refer to my 8 year old / 200,000 miles Peugeot and were in writing.

The car is insured for anybody to drive provided they have a vaild driving license.   If they, the insureers, have had sight of driving license and insurance attestation prior to use of car excess remains € 300 unless :  The driver has held a full licence for less that three years in which case excess tripples to € 900.  If the driver is not insured with them then excess doubles € 600.

Insurance on Jaguar does not cover drivers with less than three years experience in any circumstances.

I'm a bit confused here, how is he flouting the the rules if he says people should register their cars in France within 3 months?  I don't see why British people should have a problem with getting proof their no-claims bonus.  We got it from Prudential, who we changed from 9 years ago. 

Friends have had their UK registered cars insured by Axa for at least 3 years.  They have found a Controle Technique that does not require them to change the headlights.  I emailed Axa, who replied that Axa will insure a UK reg car in France so long as you have a home in the UK even if you spend most of your time in France!  And in the case I know, the cars have never been back to England. 

We are in the process of re-registering and have insured with Groupama on the understanding that the car will shortly have French plates.  They did not require 13 years' proof of no claims and were cheaper than Axa.