Implications of getting flashed by UK speed cameras

mark224

When one looks in ones mirror, one assumes that the traffic coming up behind will be going at a sensible speed. Perhaps faster than it should be... but still sensible. That assumption is usually a fair one.

How on earth am I supposed to know what you deem sensible?

Perhaps rolling road blocks (cars) should all have a sign on the back showing the IQ of the driver, the drivers reaction times, and what the driver deems reasonable.

It is no wonder motorcyclists have such a low opinion of car drivers when you views are so callous.

Perhaps you shouldn't be any where near the road if you can not assume what I deem sensible. As a starting point, somebody somewhere has set a speed limit for the road, it would be a fair assumption to assume that sensible is somewhere close to that.

I know this is a wind up, but I'll play along.

[quote user="Dog"]

[/quote]

aren't speed limits and knowing your stopping distance etc all part of what you should know when you take your test?  I would deem sensible as someone keeping within these sensible limits... obviously taking into consideration road conditions and weather conditions... I simply dont understand how you can defend the indefensible.

did you watch the video I posted? do you deem any of that sensible? or do you just assume the car driver should have seen the biker? He couldnt possibly have seen the biker, evenif he had used his mirrors as he should have done. The closing speed was simply too great - in the fractions of seconds between where he would have checked his mirrors and where he looked forwards and carried out his maneuver, the bike accelerated from where it couldnt be seen to a speed completely unreasonable given the traffic conditions. Sadly, this typifies many bikers attitudes and arrogance, which, Dog, you are displaying yourself here.

[quote user="Dog"]

Perhaps rolling road blocks (cars) should all have a sign on the back showing the IQ of the driver, the drivers reaction times, and what the driver deems reasonable.

It is no wonder motorcyclists have such a low opinion of car drivers when you views are so callous.

[/quote]

When I was taught to drive, I was told to assume that every other person on the road was an idiot and to drive accordingly.

When you have dangerous car drivers asleep at the wheel without regard for the safety of other road users, motorcyclists do not keep their eyes on the speedometer all the time.

The safest way past is as swiftly as possible taking into account road conditions.

[quote user="JohnM"][quote user="Dog"]

[/quote] When I was taught to drive, I was told to assume that every other person on the road was an idiot and to drive accordingly.[/quote]

That is a self fulfilling prophesy.

Boy oh boy do these excuses for speed sound lamer everytime I hear them. Still, as wind up merchants go you aren't bad. I'm waiting for you to tell me never to assume, don't keep me too long, I need some sleep and I don't like starting the car too late at night.

Oh, and when I was taught to ride a motorbike, I was told to get up to speed as fast as possible. I thought "What a stupid idea, the car drivers will probably underestimate my acceleration, far more sensible to get up to speed at something resembling the acceleration of a car". As a result I am a boring rider.... but a safe one!

Quite agree, there is nothing wrong with speed, in the right place and at the right time. The trouble is with the stopping. A bike and a car colliding at 5mph is no big deal, the same at 50mph is a big deal. So.... if we take the speed out of the equation, we reduce the chance of death.

[quote user="JohnM"]Quite agree, there is nothing wrong with speed, in the right place and at the right time. The trouble is with the stopping. A bike and a car colliding at 5mph is no big deal, the same at 50mph is a big deal. So.... if we take the speed out of the equation, we reduce the chance of death.[/quote]

I have no trouble stopping are your brakes badly maintained?

I have no intention of colliding - why do you?

If we take the Volvo driver out of the equation we have avoided a death.

If you have a problem with death do not drive! We all have to die - are you not religious?

What more could anyone look forward to than a marvelous afterlife? 

Why should you think that you would have an idea who taught me? I gather it is not a common thought, a fact that pleases me, but I do wonder why so mnay "other " motorcyclists think it is their duty to accelerate as fast as they can.

It may have made me unsafe, but it didn't. I have a very good record on the roads. The WWII comment is proof if proof were needed that this is a wind up. That is gratifying. I'd be worried if I thought you really meant some of that stuff.

Where did you imagine this idea that 'other motorcyclists' think it is a duty to accelarate as fast as possible?

I am starting to think you may be pulling my leg.

Perhaps your Panther doesn't go quite as fast as other motorcycles but perhaps you have a chip on the peak of your cork hat.