Car makes which fail first 3 year inspection.

Frederick

But surely if 30% of a certain make fails a MOT e.g. Ford Transit, that percentage is still significant even if the data is raw.  On the other hand, I suppose that it could say a lot about Transit drivers?

P.S. I had a Transit for years.

The only thing it really says about Transits Cathy is that they will mostly work for a living, likely covering prodigious mileages in the process, and hence will suffer correspondingly more problems and breakdowns. As SD says raw, unweighted date, is practically meaningless.

If you want a more balanced view seek out the JD Power surveys. They rely on data from cross section of owners and usage patterns therefore their conclusions are far more representative of the real world.

What this data is potentially useful for is to prove that the first MOT should not be based on something as meaningless as the mere passage of a set period of time.

Back in the early 80's, the company I worked for had a new car stocking finance arrangement with Fiat/Lancia and part of my work involved carrying out dealer inventory checks.  At that time, Lancias weren't the best of sellers and most of the unsold new cars were slowly rusting away in the dealer compounds.  Shortly afterwards, the Daily Mirror ran a sensation piece about rusting Lancias which led to Lancia withdrawing from the UK market.

[quote user="AnOther"]Bit like the AlfaSud then, brilliant car but no worries about the MOT because it would never have lasted that long [blink]

The statistics do bring into question the proposal for UK to move to a 4 year 1st MOT and 2 year renewals, as it is currently in France of course.

http://www.mot-reminder.com/facts.html

[/quote]

I had TWO Alfasuds over a period of 5 years in the early 80's, brilliant little cars and both passed the MOTs easily.

Sid

Toyota have just recalled  3 MILLION cars in the US for a faulty plate which causes accelerators to stick, after having denied the problem for quite a while. YET, as far as I can make out, there have been no recalls in Europe.

I only drove a Corolla once and it was awful, mainly because the reverse gear had no positive denial system, the paintwork was flaking off and it accelerated far too quickly, so was a bitch to drive in speed limit zones. Never again.

[quote user="woolybanana"]

........ it accelerated far too quickly, so......... [/quote]

You're joking, right?

It seems to me that there are far too many variables; how the owner treats his vehicle, where it is based, where the MOT is performed, even how well the owner knows the tester!   It certainly would never be a stat I’d use in consideration of a new car!