Good car insurance with replacement car

Llantony

After our unsatisfactory experience recently we may want to change insurance. We had a minor accident, were brought home by taxi, train, taxi and were told we could only have a replacement car if we did the whole journey back again a few days later to where our car was being repaired. We didn't do that and it took 3 weeks to repair ours. So our insurers saved 3 weeks car hire and we were throughly inconvenienced.

Can anyone reccommend a company that they know provides a better service? (or would that be advertising?)

I didn't need a replacement vehicle but the support I've had from MAAF through my accident has been really superb.  I think Mr Driver had a similar experience after his accident.  I also got back enough money on my written off car to by a better spec' newer car with fewer miles (same make) with what I got back - although I do have a premium policy, not just a basic one.

When my car was involved in an accident, I phoned MAAF to ask them about a loan car whilst the claim was being processed. They told me I didn't qualify for one because the car was being written off and the settlement was on its way to me.  I would only qualify for a loan car if mine was being repaired, in which case, the repairer would be the one to provide the car.

My daughter was involved in a minor shunt on the M6 last summer.  She was supplied with a loan car by the repairer.

Sounds like this may well be the normal procedure.....

• 2 weeks later...

Our Dutch neighbours wrote their car off a few months ago and awaited the pay out to buy another car. They were told that they were only C2. When they complained that the documents showed C3 they were told it was only as an example.

I do not have a French registered car so ignorant about the categories but perhaps others need to make sure that they do have comprehensive insurance and not just third party.

Paul