Headlamp adaptors

Sydney and Huggy

This may well have raised its head before but I can't see anything recent, other than references to police checkpoints.

I, like many others, used to use black insulating tape. It was comparatively easy when headlamps were made of glass with lines and prisms on them but plastic, smooth lens make it more difficult to get them in the right place and its often quite difficult to get the sticky residue off.

Found this on a website that explains WHY its difficult to use tape, and the dangers of doing so.

So there!  [geek]

Warning

Black Masking Tape

Advances

in headlamp technology over the past few years, and the advent of

Projector, Ellipsoidal and Clear Lens headlamps, has resulted in making

the adaptation of headlamps to eliminate dazzle a complex matter.

The

use therefore of Black Masking Tape is a dangerous 'hit and miss'

affair, and in any event it is unlikely that the vehicle would be

deemed to be road worthy.

Black masking tape absorbs

some of the headlamp light beam, and converts it into heat energy,

which will not only cause a dangerous reduction in night vision but

also generate a 'hot spot' on the lens. This in turn can cause cracking

in glass lenses or a browning burnt effect on a plastic le
ns.

While this may well be correct, I have yet to see a "foreign car" in the UK to have Headlight Adaptors fitted or stuck on. Funnily enough I had some sticky tape residue on my headlights and found that in the cold weather it came off really easily. On another track we find that in France our lights with bits of tape (we have an old car so no problem) are less dazzling than normal French headlights ( god knows what the CT checks?). And  these modern lights are a total disaster for every body except the car that has them. Why when they are approaching you do they seem to bounce so much? [8-)]

I agree about the dazzling 'bouncing' effect of modern (HID) headlights. They can only be fitted to cars with self levelling headlights and the mechanisms clearly don't react quickly enough. It seems to me they'd be safer on cars with properly adjusted fixed headlights.

There was a piece in Ouest France a few weeks ago about the increasing problem of headlight dazzle, but they erroneously attributed the cause to people fitting illegal 100W bulbs in their cars.

Steve

Avoid these problems - in bicycle shops you can buy chromium self adhesive tape it's highly silvered on both sides and totally opaque.

When blanking your headlamps it reflects all the light back.

Modern prismatic reflectors are very inefficient - time to return to dished reflectors.

Some years ago, I dilligent applied sticky headlamp adaptors to my lights. A few French people did ask what they were for. However, when I was driving at night I was frequently flashed by oncoming vehicles who clearly assumed that I was driving on full beam. I suspected that the adaptors were useless and stopped using them. The flashing rate reduced.

I now have a car with adjustable headlights.I don't even contemplate using adaptors and drive with the beam  lowered. It apparently causes no problem at all.

[quote user="Clarkkent"]

I now have a car with adjustable headlights.I don't even contemplate using adaptors and drive with the beam  lowered. It apparently causes no problem at all.

[/quote]

Same here when in the UK and I've yet to be flashed.

[quote user="Sydney and Huggy"]It was comparatively easy when headlamps were made of glass with lines and prisms on them but plastic, smooth lens make it more difficult to get them in the right place and its often quite difficult to get the sticky residue off.

[/quote]

I drive a Toyota Avensis. When my first trip to France came about I asked Toyota what to do.

I was supplied with an A4 diagram of the shape (rectangle 8x4cm) of the tape to cut. (I use silver fablon like stuff)

There is a small notch to be cut into the tape which is positioned on a circular mark on the lens, so perfect alignment every time.

• 3 weeks later...

Made me laugh...

I have a Toyota Verso and after hearing of sticking throttle problems decided to see how I could stop the car with the throttle fully open. (I'd anticipated the steering getting heavy as no power steering.)

On an empty road I floored the throttle - tried to pull out the electronic key to kill the engine - but no key would not come out. (I'd anticipated the steering getting heavy as no power steering.)

On the latest cars they don't even have a 'key' you slot into the dash - they just have a fob that stays in your pocket.

Bit dangerous not like on a motorcycle with a kill switch.

The only option is to leave the engine screaming, whip it out of gear apply brakes and when stopped the key will come out.

I can see people getting confused when you cannot just turn the engine off.

I finally did get a letter from Toyota last week saying there had been no reported problems in France and the faults were very rare.