Knock on the door? It might be the Cybergendarmes

Pierre ZFP

I just caught up with this article in Le Figaro published yesterday

http://www.lefigaro.fr/actualite-france/2010/03/23/01016-20100323ARTFIG00447-les-detecteurs-de-radars-dans-le-viseur-des-gendarmes-.php

Now we all know the possesion and use of radar detectors is illegal in France (actually I thought it was the 'Use' not just the possesion but hey-ho) but I think the cops have overstepped the mark this time.  It seems that they have been data-mining payment details made to a company based in Andorre to identify those who have ordered a detector.  They then will visit you, take the detector and you face up to a €1500 fine and 2 points.

Now all sorts of things come to mind, the main ones being How did they get their hands on this supposedly secure payment data? Was it by court order, and if it wasn't, surely this snooping is illegal in itself and not admissible as evidence in court?

Where will it end? Are my cheap book purchases from Amazon next?

I dont know whether to be outraged or in admiration of their audacity, its certainly a very effective way of tackling the problem and they only need to seize a couple of the units for the word to spread and the importation to slow to a trickle.

I bet that they dont in fact prosecute the guy who willingly gave up the unit when asked (probably in a very forcefull fashion) they probably didnt have a court order to seize it. I dont think they need one if he was caught in fragrant delit.

Dont ever answer your door to les flics Pierre if you have any blank CD's that you bought outside of France, if you bought all of yours in France then take yourself straight to the physchiatric unit [;-)]

There has long been a tradition in Andorre of 'shopping' customers to les Douanes.

You buy something (say a TV)  and the shopkeeper notes your registration number secretly, and reports you. If you haven't declared your purchase at the frontier you are liable for a fine.

That way he gets his profit and a backhander.

Perhaps this is an extension of this practice?.

In any case it is just one of the things to expect now that Hadopi has passed and privacy is no longer a right.

[quote user="Âme"][quote user="Chancer"]caught in fragrant delit.[/quote]
I smell a rat. [;-)]
[/quote]

Thanks for that, I wasnt just having a Hilda Baker moment when posting that is how I had been speaking the phrase up to now, it explains why people struggle to keep a straight face when I am speaking [:D]

Isn't language fun!

Its a shame that we live in politically correct times as I would love to watch  a modern version of the ITV series "Mind your language!"

At the moment, yes but who knows if that will change.  It is not legal to have such a setup in Switzerland (why bother when there's a camera every 50 metres) and I'm not sure about Germany.  A quick ask of my German colleagues resulted in 50:50 yes/no.  Thanks guys ........ Still, it's started a good argument between them [6]

...... surely this snooping is illegal in itself and not admissible as evidence in court?.....    Since when has pertinent evidence obtained illegally been inadmissible?  

Once upon a time, in the heat of litigation a barrister in england rifled through the files of his opposing counsel during the break for lunch and found some real interesting stuff. After lunch the barrister mentioned the NEW material to the judge who was only to pleased to approve the admissibility of the evidence. The barrister for the other party whinged a lot about theft, ethics , blah, blah to no avail.[:D]  

I bet it will never go to court, the G' men turn en masse at sparrow fart and "request" that the alleged transgressor hand over the allegedly illegal equipment.

Given what goes on during garde à vue in France I certainly would be acquiescent and also ask to buy 10 calenders [;-)]