Citroen C1

Georgina

Need a man's input here. Citroen C1 is advertised in our local from E6890 on the English sites it is £6900. I always thought it would be cheaper to buy in England. Can anyone tell me why this is. Is it therefore better to buy in France or are there loads of extras that are not evident in France when buying a new car.

There will be model differences, there often are.  However the only surefire way to compare the two is to get the version advertised up on the internet (one from Citroen France, the other from Citroen UK) and go through each.  Are the engine options the same, for a start?  Then you need to look at each add-on one by one.  Unless you know somebody at Citroen, it's really the only way to tell if you're getting the same vehicle. 

The Toyota Aigo and Peugeot 107 are the same car - so look at them too.

There are lots of factors to consider, engine type/size, 2 or 4 door, paint etc. The list is endless, so unless you are doing a comparison on like for like you cannot say which is best. If it's a new car you are thinking of buying then the basic price does not give you much. We bought our C1 in France and they do not even include a radio! Our C1 is petrol, 4 door, sensomatic box with extras like radio, aircon, alloys. It cost in the region of 11,500€. If you live in France and buy in the UK then you have all the problems of importing into France and cost involved.

Bernice

you got a C1 with power assisted steering? - I didn't know you could get them without these days! I often wonder if all French cars are fitted with direction indicators however.

The C1 is an excellent little motor with superb fuel economy.

"I often wonder if all French cars are fitted with direction indicators

however."

I think that you will find that all the \French car are fitted with indicators, but as they are very high wattage, 21 watt, and connected directly to the home power supply and metered theya re very reluctant to use them because of the incredible increase in their electrifical bill!

As far as the C1 is concerned then if you buy a U.K. spec and import it here you will have to pay the bits for that import on top of the registration in the U.K.

According to the following link:

http://www.service-public.fr/actualites/001093.html

the French scrappage scheme (prime à la casse) is still in place. For cars whose CO2 emissions are less than 155g/Km, ordered before 30th June 2010 and delivered before 30th Sept, the value is 700€, dropping to 500€ if ordered after 30th June 2010 or delivered after 30th Sept. The vehicle to be scrapped has to be more than 10 years old.

Regards

Pickles

Thanks for the replies. Bernice did you pay the minimum price for your car or did you have extras?

Does anyone know how this scrappage works and if it is definitely in place here still?

I didn't have the "basic" model but chose to have power assisted steering ("pack"something ....) but had good reduction on price as there was a special Citroen promotion going on and we scrapped an old car and got more or less what we had paid for it secondhand in the first place.  I also negotiated with the dealer to have a cd radio fitted at no extra cost.  We got the petrol model and the smallest engine size which is very economical. They also do a diesel model.  This was in 2008.  I should ask a Citroen dealer what deal they can offer you.

Bernice