Registering your car in another department ...

nectarine

Oh, come on.

In this case, the OP was applying for a carte grise and had encountered a problem with his paperwork.  As the application involved a kit car, which we all know involves the production of more than the usual standard documentation, the obvious and most helpful response was to ask him which documents the prefecture were unhappy with.  Hardly an assertion that it's all our own fault for not getting our paperwork correct.

As it turns out, there is an issue with his paperwork and he has been given an explanation and advice on the action needed to achieve a successful solution.

Of course, if Nectarine had followed your original advice about it being easier to get his friend to register it in his name in the other department, he would still have found himself with a problem with his paperwork.

But then, that wouldn't have been his own fault, would it? ......[;-)]

But leaving aside the the rights and wrongs he'd already successfully registered one car so how was he to know that he wouldn't be equally successful a second time. It's the very fact that kit cars are notoriously difficult to register which encourages people try oblique methods, especially ones which have worked in the past, which of us would do otherwise ?

I'm curious to know just what 'problem with the paperwork' he would be facing if indeed the car was successfully registered by his friend in another department and he then tried to re-register it in his own name, but this time with it's Carte Grise in his hand ?

I've been following this thread with interest since ANO referred to my travails with the local prefecture on a different but related matter.  I today went to my tax office with the prefecture's form and they shrugged their shoulders at the term "P237" which is clearly stated as a requirment on the Sarthe Prefecture's form to request a change of driving licence from other European to French. 

"No such thing," they said. "Do you know what it is?"

"It's a statement to confirm I've paid my taxes." I only know this because I've looked it up on the internet where it is the subject of discussion on several fora dedicated to those seeking French citizenship (for which it is also a requirement) - there is nothing on the Prefecture's form itself to indicate what it is.

"Oh, right."  Lady then phones colleague and tells me somebody will be along shortly.  Five minutes later her colleague appears brandishing a piece of paper detailing all the tax paid in 2009, stamped as received.  The number on the bottom? P237.

[:-))]

The French government websites and the standard CERFA form for changing a licence do not give the P237, nor proof of one's maiden name via birth and marriage certificates, as requirments for changing one's licence but they are insisted upon in the Sarthe.  To be fair, if I had visited the Sarthe Prefecture's own website I would have known this but still wouldn't have known what the Pwotsit was without the internet for a guide.  But why some departments should make one produce documents that go above and beyond the national standard for obtaining something which has international validity - goodness only knows.

In Nectarine's case it appears that a prefecture has at one time accepted less than what was required as a national standard and is no longer prepared to do so - but I may have misunderstood.

[quote user="AnOther"]But leaving aside the the rights and wrongs he'd already successfully registered one car so how was he to know that he wouldn't be equally successful a second time. It's the very fact that kit cars are notoriously difficult to register which encourages people try oblique methods, especially ones which have worked in the past, which of us would do otherwise ?

I'm curious to know just what 'problem with the paperwork' he would be facing if indeed the car was successfully registered by his friend in another department and he then tried to re-register it in his own name, but this time with it's Carte Grise in his hand ?

[/quote]

He wasn't to know he wouldn't be equally successful a second time.  That's why he was surprised to encounter difficulties with the second car.

As I said earlier, it's unlikely that the neighbouring prefecture would be prepared to deliberately break the law by issuing a carte grise without the required evidence of type approval, so when his friend says "sorry mate" and hands him back the incomplete documents, he'll still have a problem with the paperwork.

I can't really explain it more clearly....

[quote user="Sunday Driver"]As I said earlier, it's unlikely that the neighbouring prefecture would be prepared to deliberately break the law by issuing a carte grise without the required evidence of type approval, so when his friend says "sorry mate" and hands him back the incomplete documents, he'll still have a problem with the paperwork.

I can't really explain it more clearly....[/quote]Well of course in that case but you don't know that they wouldn't have approved it and if we can be made to suffer from their (sometimes!) ignorance/incompetence/carelessness, call it what you will, equally why should we not profit from it when it happens to go the other way whatever the reason [;-)]

Q: Once a Carte Grise is issued, correctly or otherwise who, if anybody, is ever going to question it ?

[quote user="AnOther"][quote user="Sunday Driver"]As I said earlier, it's unlikely that the neighbouring prefecture would be prepared to deliberately break the law by issuing a carte grise without the required evidence of type approval, so when his friend says "sorry mate" and hands him back the incomplete documents, he'll still have a problem with the paperwork.

I can't really explain it more clearly....[/quote]Well of course in that case but you don't know that they wouldn't have approved it and if we can be made to suffer from their (sometimes!) ignorance/incompetence/carelessness, call it what you will, equally why should we not profit from it when it happens to go the other way whatever the reason [;-)]

[/quote]

Of course I don't know that they wouldn't have approved it.  However, Nectarine's original post tells us they they are more clued up, so they're unlikely to demonstrate your 'ignorance/incompetence/carelessness', are they?  

I think we may have arrived at what you might call a 'hole in my bucket' moment.

If the other prefecture is 'more clued up' - and not breaking the rules - then by definition that would mean that nectarines own is indeed either 'ignorant, incompetent, or careless, (or call it what you will)' would it not [8-)]

I think we have arrived at the stage where you're struggling to prolong this.....

Your presumption seems to ignore the fact that Nectarine's own prefecture correctly identified that his vehicle does not have the necessary information that they require in order to process his carte grise application.  Hardly an 'ignorant, incompetent, or careless' outcome. 

How long are you going to keep this up?

Earlier in this topic I referred to our own préfecture's statement that imported vehicles should be registered at your home préfecture. Having followed a topic at another forum, and checked one or two other government and préfecture web sites, it is clear that the official line is that imported vehicles can be immatriculated at any préfecture of your choice, not just your own. Though it appears to be up to the officials at the préfecture whether or not they accept applications from elsewhere.