using igh pressure water cleaner

chirpy

With the bonnet closed you're unlikely to get water under it in sufficient quantities or pressures to do any harm but nevertheless jet washes should be used with common sense. The indiscriminate application of water jets at anything up to 2000psi can easily force water into crevices and cavitites it would never ever get into in normal use where it can cause damage to things like door electrics and also be a long term source of moisture which will encourage corrosion.

A simple way to minimise the chances of this is to wash from front to back only aiming the jet in the direction that any natural water would strike the car.

Frankly, however dirty a car gets. it's very unlikely to be anything that can't be coped with by hand washing and a standard hosepipe and jet washing is nothing more than the lazy persons quick fix solution !

[quote user="AnOther"]With the bonnet closed you're unlikely to get water under it in sufficient quantities or pressures to do any harm but nevertheless jet washes should be used with common sense. The indiscriminate application of water jets at anything up to 2000psi can easily force water into crevices and cavitites it would never ever get into in normal use where it can cause damage to things like door electrics and also be a long term source of moisture which will encourage corrosion.

A simple way to minimise the chances of this is to wash from front to back only aiming the jet in the direction that any natural water would strike the car.

Frankly, however dirty a car gets. it's very unlikely to be anything that can't be coped with by hand washing and a standard hosepipe and jet washing is nothing more than the lazy persons quick fix solution !

[/quote]

What are door electrics?

Slightly off topic, but still with pressure washers. It is a very bad idea to pressure wash a caravan because the high pressure water can and will force the non setting mastic from the joints in the bodywork. Then you have the perfect situation for the caravan killer, damp!

You got a 2CV Polly?[8-)] If so then I am envious!! I want a MĆ©hari! No doors![:-))]

Neither would I Polly me dear!!

But alive with either or preferably both now that is a wonderful idea [8-|][8-|][8-|]

One of the best mechanical beasts ever produced!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Citro%C3%ABn_M%C3%A9hari_a_Formentera.JPG

I once had my Land Rover high pressure washed after an excursion in deep mud in the jungle.

I later found that a significant amount of muddy water had been forced past the rubber seals into both axles and the front swivel hubs.