Converting RHD to LHD to import to France.

Shelly

Thinking of buying a car from the Uk. I've heard that it's about £1000 euros to convert. I spoke to a dealer here and he said that you can't import a car to France with the convertion. What's the truth? Anyone know of any LHD car dealers that are quite reasonable. We can't believe the price of cars here.

I think that you would be able to convert one of the old style minis for €1000, but a modern car dashboard would probably be more than that. You would then have a steering rack, all cables and electrics etc. I could not see a conversion to any car built after 2000 costing any less than €2000 just for the parts. The labour to do it would probably be half as much again.

Converting a classic mini would cost under €150 plus a couple of hours garage labour if you can not do the work yourself, and converting a modern car does not have to be a huge amount more expensive either - as long as you select the correct car to start with.

Thats not what he is asking though.....I have not heard any problems about importing a converted car, but my only pause for thought would be if the steering side were mentioned anywhere on the papers for re-registration here. ie if the certificate of conformity mentioned it was a right hand drive car. However, the prefcture dont see the car physically, and the CT tester doesnt give a damn where the wheel is, so long as it is fitted properly.....I can't really see any problems.

I have converted eight or nine vehicles now, and am just amassing the parts to do my latest purchase (2001 model year car) and have never had any problems. Saying that, I have always registered the car fist, then converted it afterwards through force of habit.

It is going to depend on the car........

Dashboard looms, steering racks, dashboard etc.

As a fan of Tr7s many LHD TR8s have been converted to RHD but a lot of work and currently on ebay uk is an early Moggie Minor that had had a RHD dashboard welded in to a LHD vehicle.

Perhaps if you can source parts from a scrapyard then it could be economical (or get a Mini as Dave suggests - by the way you need to carry on the restaurant saga) especially if you can do the work yourself.

Paul

I can't see why anyone would bother. I drive both RHD and LHD cars and a RHD van, no problems... except when I get in on the wrong side and find someone's nicked the steering wheel.

What with all the things mentioned above, plus modifying the gearbox and buying a new steering rack (you can tell I'm into classics here),...... Oh, and do check the passenger door has a key lock on it, otherwise you'll have to scramble to get in and out.

Thanks for the information. We're just looking at our options. We would prefer to buy a LHD if we could find one at a decent price. Looking for a Tourag, Saab or something along those lines. The Lhd dealers in the Uk are expensive too. Anyone bought from Belgium or Germany? Anyone know who sells the ex hire cars?

Hi Shelly, there is british car auction europe i think germany austira and france have there auction centres , they seem to handle fleet user cars as well just log on to BCA europe or via BCA uk website worth a try or add LHD to there uk site to see what comes up.. or autotrader nl is ok I am sure there are lots more about .