Registering a Car/Motorbike - CoC : Not necessary under European Law

Louis0109

I would just like to draw the attention of everyone in insisting with EU authorities about vehicle registration.

It is not our fault that vehicle registration is under the control of the French Department of Transport which they delegate to Prefectures (French Home Office).

If you are holding a European Community Registration Certificate there is NO REQUIREMENT for a CoC. This is just lazy French bureaucrates insisting on documents that they DO NOT NEED. If there is information missing then this is THEIR JOB to find with with the DoT.

European law states that citizens should not incurr extra costs when moving within the Union. Harmonisation has been ongoing.

I strongly insisted on this in the Prefecture of Grasse for months and months as I was not going to pay 200€ for a CoC from Suzuki France. In the end they managed to register the bike. Had I not insisted I would be 200€ out of pocket (which by the pay paid for safety equipment).

This matter also changes from Prefecture to Prefecture.

You MUST have a European Community Registration V5c from DVLA.

Hope this helps and dont forget resist and insist.

(I have been in France for 20 years and also have french nationality)

What is a "European Community Registration Certificate" if it is not a certificate of conformity?

Where does one get one from other than from the manufacturers whose going rate for a piece of paper whatever its name seems to be €100 + ?

So is it incorrect too that CT stations insist on sight of a CofC before they will issue a CT on a foreign registered vehicle?

And of course, you cannot register a vehicle of a certain age without a CofC. The words 'egg' and 'chicken' spring to mind.

I picked up this thread earlier this morning, but by the time I'd had a good laugh about it being the job of lazy French bureaucrates to search for information missing from our paperwork, the forum had been fiddled with and my reply came out as gobbledegook.

I'd be interested to hear more about this wonderful European law that says it shouldn't cost us anything to move within the Union.....

[quote user="Sunday Driver"]

I'd be interested to hear more about this wonderful European law that says it shouldn't cost us anything to move within the Union.....

[/quote]I suspect someone is confusing pious hope with reality[:)]

Having just registered our cars, WITH a CoC, good luck mate if you can get away with it!!!! We were certainly told repeatedly, that no can do, without a CoC!!!![:D] NO CT, and NO carte grise!!

[quote user="Jo"]Having just registered our cars, WITH a CoC, good luck mate if you can get away with it!!!! We were certainly told repeatedly, that no can do, without a CoC!!!![:D] NO CT, and NO carte grise!!
[/quote]

Same here, even when it's a Citreon built over here but right hand drive!