Car insurance for car with british plates.

Shelly

[quote user="Will"][quote user="nomoss"]

Companies who operate outside the UK but have Financial Service Authority (FSA) approval AND are MIB members AND insure UK registered vehicles, can load data to the MID.

http://www.mib.org.uk/Motor+Insurance+Database/en/MID+Faqs/Foreign+insurers+and+the+MID.htm

[/quote]

This is a bit of a red herring. Under European law, an insurer based in any EU member state can legally offer insurance in any other member state, and cannot be prevented from doing so as long as the insurance offered complies with the rules of the respective country. So AXA France, for instance, is entitled to offer insurance in UK, and, to take another random example, Aviva, an English-headquartered worldwide group, can offer insurance in France.

So far so good - in fact you could be forgiven for thinking that is what really happens. In actuality, the economic and practical considerations of foreign insurers doing business directly in other EU member states are so prohibitive, that companies operate in those other states purely through subsidiaries, dedicated to the individual states. Hence AXA UK is quite a different company from AXA France, although ultimately both are members of the same group. So French AXA insurance, being from a non-UK compliant company, cannot be legally sold in UK, and vice versa.

[/quote]

Isn't that the same throughout the EU - trade and other "barriers" removed, only to be replaced with restrictive new regulation to achieve the same results?

We used to retail and install equipment from Italy, Germany and UK through our business in Spain, both before and after Spain joined the EU.

After the EU we found we had to use the same Customs Agents as previously, except now they charged us per foreign invoice to put EU commodity numbers on them, copy and list them, and make a compulsory "Statistical Return" to Customs. The frequency of the return depended on the annual volume (cost) of foreign invoices, eventually becoming monthly.

The cost in agent's fees and time for the paperwork involved eventually approached the original cost of import duties.

But in the question at hand the restrictions are self imposed.

I doubt it costs much in real terms to afilliate to the UK MIB but if foreign insurance companies (for profit businesses remember) choose to not enter the UK market that is a commercial decision which is entirely theirs to make and it doesn't violate any EU free trade principals.

[quote user="AnOther"]Confused about what exactly ?[/quote]

Confused about ... what if the French insurance company IS listed on MIB, GAN for example. You said whicj bits were not allowed, but it still seems to me that there are other possibilities; insure in France with a listed company and then get the car registered in due course.

[quote user="AnOther"]

Shortened quote::

Whilst in the UK you must have UK valid insurance (plus tax and MOT of course) which means you cannot get it covered like suein56 as an add on to a French policy. Even if your French insurer offers it and swears blind it's OK believe me it isn't !

[/quote]

But it would be OK if the company was listed?? Please answer that for me?

[quote user="nomoss"]

I long for the time to arrive when one can take one's car anywhere in the EU without hassle. If the EU lasts that long [6]

Just like it was before the EU.

[/quote]You can, it's just that your insurance may drop to 3rd party after a certain period.

What could you do before the EU that you can't do now ?

[quote user="nomoss"]

I long for the time to arrive when one can take one's car anywhere in the EU without hassle. If the EU lasts that long [6]

Just like it was before the EU.

[/quote]

I think that you can take your car anywhere you want provided that it is either full French registered or fully UK registered and legal in either of those countries.

Cars are one thing, but it is such a shame that the UK puts barriers in the way should a French registered microlight want to fly to the UK, but there are no restrictions the other way around.

[quote user="sid"][quote user="AnOther"]

Shortened quote::

Whilst in the UK you must have UK valid insurance (plus tax and MOT of course) which means you cannot get it covered like suein56 as an add on to a French policy. Even if your French insurer offers it and swears blind it's OK believe me it isn't !

[/quote]

But it would be OK if the company was listed?? Please answer that for me?

[/quote]What do you mean by 'listed' ?

If you mean that the company were registered with both the UK and French MIB's (each EU country has one) then you might be able to get a policy which was legal and complied fully in both but as no known UK or French companies are then, as EuroTrash says, it's a purely hypothetical question.

[quote user="AnOther"]

What could you do before the EU that you can't do now ?[/quote]

Among other things, insure and drive a UK registered car in UK while a french resident, and insure and drive a french registered car in France while a UK resident.