DRIRE

Mac

On the post about re-registering your UK car in France it says that you can apply to DRIRE for an attestation if you don't have a certificate of conformity. You can download the form. Can I use this form to re-register a van or is it only for cars? If I can't use that form where do I get a certificate of conformity from for a Mercedes van?

Thanks for that it will be helpful. Due to our own lack of planning we have ended up with a sprinter van in France when the MOT and tax has run out so we can't take it back to the UK or really sell it over here-so re-regestering seems the best option.

Our friend had his Vauxhall Vivaro? (6 seater van) attested by DRIRE in the Charente outside Angouleme at Gersac. They had a problem initially because the van was made at Vauxhall and had no cert of con for the extra 3 seats - apparently here the 6 seater vans are made initially by the company concerned and then go to a coachbuilder for the extra seats, so have 2 cert of cons!

My old Citroen H-van (see avatar) started life being coachbuilt, in 1964, by a firm called Currus as a small bus. It's now a campervan.

I recently came across a book with the seating plan for it: they were sold as school buses with space for 17 children (if facing forwards) or 20 (if facing towards the sides). I wonder what DRIRE would say about importing from the UK a similar van/bus conversion in 2011? Those 20 or 17 seats go into a space that is 2.46m by 1.85m (about 4.5 sq meters). It's crowded with four adults!

[quote user="Anton Redman"]I thought you could take it back for a prebooked MOT at a station close to the port of entry[/quote]

As far as I am aware the regulations do not state a distance just that it is being driven to a testing station for a pre-arranged MOT - so you could get off the ferry in Dover and drive to a testing station in Aberdeen.