Disposal of old tyres

sid

I've ordered online (and received) 4 new tyres. My local garage will fit them but he can't take the old ones for disposal, saying that he can only dump the same number as he has ordered. I don't believe tat the dechetterie will accept them either. It appears that old tyres are becoming a disposal headache generally. Any suggestions, apart from dumping in a field? [:-))] (And no, I wouldn't do that!)

I can put them in a corner of the barn I suppose, and leave them for the next proprietor! [;-)]

Option 1 - many farmers use old tyres to hold plastic sheeting down covering their silage. Ask if they want them.

Option 2 - round the back of most fast-fit garages is a skip full of their old tyres. Go down after hours and fling them in with the rest.

Option 3 - (naughty) go for a little drive and drop 1 in each roadside rubbish bin you pass.

Clair, I will go and ask at the dechetterie just to be sure, but I've already been told they don't accept them.

Dave, option 1 - good point, I've noticed that now that you mention it!

option 2 - looks good, but we're quite a long way from the nearest one. 4 tyres take up a lot of room in the boot; I can't be driving round with them for too long! [blink]

option 3 - [6]

The European smart arses come up with these ideas (tyre dealers can only dispose of what they order, the same in the UK) so let them come up with the solution. Dont dump them in woodland but abandon outside a dechetterie if they won't take them and let them sort it out. this stuff makes my blood boil, try to be good but rules created by people not living in the real world really hack me off, same as the fridge mountain, because of the old gas cant be ungassed so left in fields until they leak out naturally same effect on environment.

When I ordered 4 new tyres on line I got them delivered to one of the garages that fitted for the internet supplier.

The garage near Thenezay phoned me to arrange a RDV for fitting.

No lugging new tyres to garage; no lugging old tyres from garage, etc.

Sid you really do make life difficult for yourself.

Completely agree, Sid the decheterie is the correct place and is behaving responably, the rules need to change to allow the disposal at the decheterie. Then they can be recycled properly. They are ugly in any other use apart from on cars, who wants to live in Steptoes yard?

I am often baffled by the utter waste of recycling ideas for old tyres.

Sometime last summer a whole warehouse full of them burnt down in SouthWales taking at least 3 weeks for it to be completely burnt out. Why oh why ? couldn't these tyres be put to good use such as strengthening river banks that are in danger of collapsing and causing flooding. When I hear the great and the good saying that the engineerring of strengthening such river bank cost far too much - financial cost as well as environmental one for making the concrete - Man ! just bang your head !! These mountains of tyres could be put to good use : criss cross these tyres, infill with mud and turf, drive in a few strong stakes that the structure doesn't move and Bob's your uncle : river bank strengthened. Turf inside tyre will soon be colonised by grass and other plant seeds which will grow and overtime cover up for tyre wall to no longer be unsightly ...

[quote user="sid"]Clair, I will go and ask at the dechetterie just to be sure, but I've already been told they don't accept them.[/quote]

Technically, they're not supposed to, but ours does, so it's worth a try.

Also, the disposal charge added to the cost of the tyre purchase means that the supplier should collect the used tyres when they sell or deliver new ones.

It's worth contacting the préfecture to ask if they organise a collection day, as some do once or twice a year... A sort of amnesty to avoid old tyres being burnt or left by the roadside.

Humble Pie on offer here! I went to the local dechetterie (Chef-Boutonne) this afternoon with a load of garden stuff and asked the guy there; they DO take tyres after all! [Www]

I must say the staff there are always very helpful.

I should have asked first rather than accept someone elses's word (two other people as it happens). Anyway, disposal problem sorted for me, and apologies for the wasted time.

Incidentally, PPP, these tyres came from UK. I've had a problem with peculiar tyre wear on the rear axle of my Renault Megane Estate and have been recommended a particular tyre (dual compound) to try out. I couldn't source them in France at anywhere near the price from UK and even with delivery they were still very inexpensive. The drawback is that I couldn't arrange delivery/fitting by the usual "pneus online" garages and had to receive delivery at home. As it turns out my local garage in the village will fit and balance for less than any of the other places, I just have to take care of disposal.

I think it was the race circuit Croix en Ternois in France where somethin about the tyres in the tyrewall made me look carefully, i might be confused with another circuit but I am sure that it was there as they had at that time given the whole circuit a relooking.

What caught my eye is that all the tyres were brand new and one make and size, a popular low profile size, knowing what i know now I reckon they came from the goodyear factory at Amiens.

I remember being gobsmacked and thinking what a waste, they had all been pierced on the sidewall to render them unuseable on the road.

I bet it was the same powers that be that decided we cannot take tyres to the dechetterie that decided that tyrewalls and river banks cannot use second hand tyres!

I am often baffled by the utter waste of recycling ideas for old tyres.

I'm not sure that it will help Sid, but on Grand Designs a couple of years ago was a family which bought land in (I think) Brittany and built an eco house with walls made from old tyres. There must be lots of sensible uses for old tyres.

• 2 weeks later...