UK paper driving licence.

Jo

While discussing licences, I happened to mention that I still hold the old paper licence. I was told that they are no longer valid[:-))] and should exchange it for a photo card one ASAP. I have been on the DVLA website[geek] and while they explain how to change to a photo card they don't say you have to, just list the advantages. Surely they would have informed holders of the old style ones if they were no longer valid?

They are still valid and better than that are not going to cost you a fortune to renew/update every 10 years, I paid good money for mine, more than a couple of quid I bet and it's valid until 2029, why would i want to change it? We dont usually willingly pay twice over for something.

Ditto Chancer, I'm of the.... if it's not broken don't fix it, mentality[:-))] why would I swap it for one I have to renew every 10 years if it's still valid[blink] and no, Idun, I wouldn't be able to swap it with a foreign address, but would have found some way to if it wasn't valid. Though I suppose you could argue it's not legal with an out of date address....[8-)]

I actually phoned the DVLA when we moved here last year to ask if they wanted my new French address and they weren't interested. Since they didn't ask my name and address at the time I'm still registered at my old address in the UK (fortunatly tenented by people we know well)

OK, myth busting time !

Whilst you may commit a technical offence carrying a possible fine of £1000 (but AFAIK there are no recorded cases of anybody ever being so fined) your driving licence is NEVER rendered invalid by having an incorrect address on it.

If that were the case many hundreds of thousands who move house and forget to or don't bother to inform DVLA would face prosecution for having no valid licence - and by extension no insurance - every year but they are not.

Similarly with the MOT, the lack of one does not invalidate your insurance.