bon de visite

gert

hi,

been to see several houses with an agent , signed a "bon de visite" right at the start (some weeks ago) but have`nt signed one for each house visit. have just found the same house with a different agent much cheaper, is the "bon de visite" signed with the previous agent worth the paper it written on? are they likely to have added each house to the list covered by the "bon de visite"as we went along? or could i start dealing with the other agent (which would be much easier all round as we have many questions about the property and the original agent does not speak sufficient english to answer them fully, which is fine, we are in france, but we are at an important stage and need to understand fully- before someone shoots me down for not being fluent!!)

I was told, not so long ago, by a local agent, that the bon de visite was hardly worth the paper it is written on.  Yes, you can be taken to task if you go ahead and buy from a - n other agent, who may have the same house advertised at a cheaper price, but the cost and hassle of taking action against this person if high and not worth the trouble.  Try and negotiate a reduction on agency fees, they are pretty flexible..

You are clearly trying to wriggle out of the visit with the previous agent.

The best advice, as stated above is, to deal with the agency on the basis that the true price is the lower one.  if you want to make an offer on the house, do so with the lower price in mind and make the first agent aware that you know of the lower price.

I think you may find that if you go through the second agent claiming a technicality that this particular house was not listed on the BDV then the first agent will halt the purchase at the Notaires office, which will not make you very popular with the seller.  There is no need to go to a Tribunal.

I think you may also find that Immobiler law is more purposive than it's engish equivilent and your actions may be seen, at best, as 'slippery'.

[quote]thanks for the reply nick. so if we are talking law, then by law, should we sign a separate bdev for each house we view.we have only ever signed one and viewed about 30 houses since.[/quote]

That rather depends on the BdeV. I have dug one out that lists one of the houses we visited but has a clause that says something along the lines of "and any others". Another lists the houses and doesn't mention others - this one is in English.

[quote]thanks for the reply nick. so if we are talking law, then by law, should we sign a separate bdev for each house we view.we have only ever signed one and viewed about 30 houses since.[/quote]

That rather depends on the BdeV. I have dug one out that lists one of the houses we visited but has a clause that says something along the lines of "and any others". Another lists the houses and doesn't mention others - this one is in English.

I think it depends on the wording of the contract that you signed.  If the Bon said 'This house or any other house listed with this immobelier' then you may have a problem. I would feel pretty unconfortable if I had been taken to see a house by one agent and started making offers by another. If the house was listed with another agent at a much lower price I would point this out and  I would explain to the agent that this was the maximum we expected to pay and we were negotiating down from there.  

Would one way be, with the original agent, to seem interested in the property but not too interested, comment on the difference in price (Will has often posted that you need to check that you get the same amount of land etc so make sure it is like for like), hint that it might be beneficial if you continue looking for a property with the other agent, but at the right price you would be interested in another look at the property.

Paul

There is no reason not to be 'up front' with your original agent. It is, after all, your money.

Point out to him that the other agent is offering it cheaper and give him the opportunity to match the price. if he declines to do so then you must tell him you will have to deal through the other agent. It is unlikely to surprise him and if he wants to complete the sale he will match his competitors price as 'half a loaf is better than none'.  In any case you are entitled to make an offer on the property for what you feel it is worth, which is obviously not going to be more than the price displayed by the second agent.

If the first agent declines your offer you are entitled to go elsewhere and if you have been honest with him all the way he is in a very weak position to demand recompense.

Good luck,

Cheminot.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote]I think it depends on the wording of the contract that you signed. If the Bon said 'This house or any other house listed with this immobelier' then you may have a problem. I would feel pretty unconfo...[/quote]

I was advised by a French agent when I was puting my house up for sale with different Estate Agents that the price must be the same at each agency. It may well be that the advertised (FAC or FAI) price at the separate agents is different, due to differing Fraise Agence.