Tyres France or UK?

PaulT

About to travel over to our house in France. The tyres on the car have perhaps 2k miles left on them. From a financial viewpoint will I be better replacing before I travel or whilst in France?

If the answer is France where are the cheaper places for tyres?

[quote user="PaulT"]About to travel over to our house in France. The tyres on the car have perhaps 2k miles left on them. From a financial viewpoint will I be better replacing before I travel or whilst in France?

If the answer is France where are the cheaper places for tyres?[/quote]

Not a lot in it Paul. At different times I've bought in both countries according to offers that were going. Best I've found in France are Profil+. Personally I wouldn't want to do a long journey with only that amount of tread left. That is an opinion not a criticism. 

Hi Paul.

If I'm not mistaken, the minimum tread depth is more in France than the UK. You could therefore be on a sticky wicket if an over enthusiastic Gendarme pulled you. I think it's only a Millimetre more though.

There are companies, such as Allopneu, that will deliver new tyres at very competitive prices to a garage of your choice in France where they can be fitted, etc.

If you are travelling this weekend by the way, the Flicks will be everywhere because of the Le Mans 24hr traffic.

Les.

Thanks for the replies.

The legal minimum in France is 1.6mm the same as the UK and the tyres are above the markers.

If the forecast was for torrential rain then that would have been a high consideration to change before travelling.

People drive at phenomenal speeds on bald tyres - over 200mph. They are F1 drivers driving F1 cars on slicks but if it should rain then they are in trouble.

Thanks for pointers to online stores etc. Overall, it looks to be more advantageous to change before I leave.

Looking at your quelpneus site Ernie this one looks pretty good to me.  I have to get a couple of Michelin for the back of our C4 and they are the best price I can find.

Mind you, we are going to Andorra in the not too distant future, so I may have a look there too?

I recently used pneus9 after 123pneus let me down badly but the owner of the garage I chose for fitting told me next time to ask him he would match the best online price so I took him up on it and he was true to his word so now I have no need of online sites other than to find the price he has to match [:D]

I can't be bothered to look for the absolute lowest price, but I like to know that I'm not being overly ripped off.

Fitted two front tyres in December in UK, Asda tyres, including fitting £229.

Fitted identical tyres on rear in France in April, 123pneus including fitting 246 euros.

Steve