Well, that was a shock

woolybanana

Pottering along the road yesterday after a bit of shopping and boom, engine on my Kia Rio blows; white smoke everywhere. Wouldn't restart, so called insurance for a tow etc. Whilst waiting, tried to get it going again. It seemed to try to start but more clouds of white smoke, then could not turn it off even with the key removed, so put it into gear and made it pull which stopped it immediately.

I strongly expect the turbo but am not sure.

What a bagger it is.

Car now in the way to Kia to see what needs to be done.

Bit, will I ever feel it can be trusted again? Based on past experience, the portents are not good.

A friend, French, has a Kia and it was in for something or other recently.

When I asked her if her car was OK again, she said yes, until the next time.  Don't want to sound discouraging, Wools, and of course your car isn't hers!!

Good luck with all of that.

I only have "oriental" cars like Mazda and Hyundai these days and even OH prefers them to the Mercedes and Volvos we'd had in the past.

Hi guys, well, I reckon it will still cost me, even though it is supposed to be under the guarantee. Odd, as the car has been perfect for four and a half years then zoomp.

I might be able to get an idea tomorrow of how long it is likely to take, meanwhile will rentacar for a bit.

Over the years, I have had Volvos, VWs and Opels, the latter being the worst for problems.

The problem is that the engine is only 1100cc with a biggish turbo which I suspect could not take the pain of my needs.

By the way, Nimtie, Hyanddri is the same as Kia.

Maybe I will get a Duster next as this area is packed with them, though the fuel consommation may be a bit high for my mean tastes.

Fitted reversing sensors to a friends Dustbin....how do they make them for the money? Simple lack of engineering, extremely basic. He had to take it back after about 8 months because the paint on the edges of the panels was rusting. The dealer told him that they were repainting lots.

[quote user="woolybanana"]Hi guys, well, I reckon it will still cost me, even though it is supposed to be under the guarantee. Odd, as the car has been perfect for four and a half years then zoomp.

I might be able to get an idea tomorrow of how long it is likely to take, meanwhile will rentacar for a bit.

Over the years, I have had Volvos, VWs and Opels, the latter being the worst for problems.

The problem is that the engine is only 1100cc with a biggish turbo which I suspect could not take the pain of my needs.

By the way, Nimtie, Hyanddri is the same as Kia.

Maybe I will get a Duster next as this area is packed with them, though the fuel consommation may be a bit high for my mean tastes.[/quote]

Numpty here, Wools!  Well, wouldn't you know my Hyundai is 16 years old and apart from changing the original battery a couple of years ago, I have spent nothing on it that I haven't been responsible for such as driving into a lamp-post.  Usual servicing of course.  Always been parked outside, from 45 degrees to maybe minus 12.  Starts just on turning the key.  Plus I had a biggish prang in it about 8 years ago and it was patched up and voilà, ça marche encore!

The Mazda, which was bought about 8 years ago from someone on the forum, is now 12 years old.  The airbag thingy is foutu and the panel lights up to tell us the ABS is not working but it passes its CT without any problem and is going strong.

OH might stop driving in the near future and then we will have to think about getting rid of both old faithfuls and buying something that he deems more suited to my sort of haphazard and frankly not too expert driving.

I expect to get another oriental car.  I don't think I even want to look at other makes other than the 2 I have mentioned.

That sounds really bad luck, Woolie; hope it doesn't cost a bomb.

We used to have Saabs, lovely cars, as was my husband's old Porsche - all had extremely high mileages and little in the way of costs, but bills eventually started to come in for the Saabs so they went. My knees and back deteriorated, so the Porsche went. Changed to a Toyota Prius hybrid about 6 years ago, lovely car, very economical and had a good turn of speed when needed - or to say yah-boo to boy racers occasionally when hitting the booster button.

My husband has had to stop driving for 6 months due to a medical condition, so we finally took the decision to get rid of both the Prius and Polo, move to just one car. We now have a Toyota Yaris hybrid with all the bells and whistles; bought on Saturday, got scraped on Monday - rotten luck!

GG, so what do you think of the new car?

Sounds like the right size for me.

Bad luck about the scrape.  I think that, subconsciously, I like having our old cars; don't worry about dents and don't have to think about anyone remotely wanting to pinch them!

6 months will soon pass for your husband and he'd be back driving to France[:)]

Must say that I used to like driving big cars because I found that I didn't get carved up when I was in a big car.  That was in the UK of course. In France everybody feels this apparently iresistible urge to overtake whatever the circumstances and then cut in in front of you when they run out of road.

If it's any help there are other instances of the problem happening to the Kia Rio 1.1 diesel, here's one report.

"23-10-2015: Report of engine of 18,500 mile 3-year old Rio 1.1 diesel over-revving on its own accord. Dealer is replacing turbo, intercooler and injectors, so the fault was probably with the turbo bearing oil seals, allowing the engine to siphon oil from the sump via the turbo and run on it uncontrollably."

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/kia/rio-2011/?section=good

Another example here:-

http://worldnews24.space/2016/07/01/honest-johns-motoring-agony-column-5-12-2015/

If it's still under warranty the dealer should sort it out at no cost to you if it's been Kia dealer serviced.

It's early days, Mint, but a Yaris has been our preferred choice for quite a while - it took my husband's illness and resulting driving ban to make us finally do it!

It's inbetween the size of my Polo and the Prius, so I need to get used to it being a bit longer and wider than the Polo, but it handles beautifully. I love how it sails over 'sleeping policemen' without jarring my back and I'm enjoying it so far and my passenger seems quite relaxed.

There are a lot of 'Priuses' around our area of France, but I don't know about The Yaris - it's very popular in UK.

GG I had a cursory look on the internet and found it in Germany though I'd put France in the search line.

Sounds deffo like my preferred size as I am not keen on small cars.  They never ride as comfortably as larger cars and, in the old days at least, they had rubbishy brakes and long braking distances.  Though I am sure small cars are now greatly improved.

Slightly surprised about the Porsche GG, as my friend reckons that it has the most comfortable seat imagineable and when she was unwell with back pain, would go and sit in hers as it was the only place where she could get some comfort.

Interesting thread about the cars. Trouble is that all of them seem to have gone electrical to the nth degree and I suspect that in the future this will cause more problems than is necessary and costs that will be terrible. So what was a good car years ago may not have been replaced with something so 'reliable'....... to be seen.

I still love driving, just am not interested in cars, although there are some key things that have been mentioned........ reliability and not costing the earth and for me not being too sluggish when I need an bit of umpfff.

Id, I can understand GG re the seating in a Porche.

One of OH's sons had one of these (the 76 grand one, whichever it was) and had to part company with it as it gave him backache.

Like you, I am clueless about cars.  What I do like is to have a good view from the retroviseur as, being small, I like to be able to look at where I am reversing!

Our Porsche probably didn't have a price tag anything like tgat - it was becoming elderly, but still ran very well; we were pleased that 2 men wanted it when we put it up for auction, so got a very good price. We were sad to see it go though, made older age seem very real too.

The Porsche problem for me was getting in and getting out as the years passd and even my husband started to find that more difficult.

I've had a good, long drive around this morning, Mint, and can say that the Yaris is very comfortable. It's also easier to get in and out of than even the Polo. The forward and reverse beepers when getting too close to cars etc are very useful and having used the camera when reversing, I found that extremely useful too. These are all gadgets I've not been used to having, but having had a longish drive around various garden centres in the area, I've been doing lots of manoeuvring so used them a fair bit.

Edit: the brakes are fine, Mint - not too abrupt.

I also now know where to find the petrol cap opener - found the bonnet opener first when I went to fill up!

It definitely feels like a big little car.

Now, where do I apply for my fee for the advert? ?

Strangely I have yet to sit in a truly comfy car these days. I have friends who get very expensive ones and they are no different to mine.

I remember Citroen used to do comfy cars, think Renault did too, the german cars always to hard for my taste, but the french ones seem like all others these days.

• 3 months later...
Know what you mean Idun, price tag is no guide to comfortable car seats. My first car was a Renault 6 with squishy soft suspension and bench seats. Dead comfy ! Mind you, I was 17 at the time, so my back could put up with a lot more then  than it will now. Oddly one of the most comfortable seats (being defined as "driving from Penzance to Birmingham without stopping, and not being crippled or doubled up when you get out") I ever had was in a Citroen 2CV, and that was a glorified deck-chair!. As someone earlier said, seats in German cars are too stiff and tutonic, but the worst by a country mile must be Fords... I wouldn't have one as a gift!