Electric vehicle charging points

Théière

[quote user="You can call me Betty"]This subject got me curious so I have just been reading about it to learn a bit more. By the sounds of what I've read about France (see above) and the U.K., the issues seem to be the same.

Not every charger is born equal, nor every electric car. For a start, the plug is often different and some chargers are only compatible with some cars (e.g. Tesla provide the, for their own vehicles, and they're free to use, but only compatible with their cars). Either the vehicle companies, or electric companies provide chargers, and some are, indeed, free. However some aren't. In the UK, apparently, each different charger owned by a different company requires, if you need to pay, their own particular swipe card for payment. So you can't always just rock up to one and be able to use it, as you can't, seemingly, use your ordinary credit card.

As I read, and it's logical, if you have an electric car and do regular journeys, say, to and from work, you can charge at home and potentially at the office if your workplace has chargers. This is fine, but if you're off on a journey to a new place, or a journey where you'll need to recharge en route, then it seems like quite a lot of research will be required before you set off.[/quote]

Just to clear up some of the issues, I to have been looking at the charging cables and it's not that confusing. Tesla have their own superchargers but can also use the type 2 used by many other cars. The standard CCS can be used by pretty much any car but is slower than the type 2 DC rapid charge. The CHAdeMO is also used by a few mainstream manufacturers like Nissan, Mitsubishi, (probably Renault as they are now all one group) PSA, (Citroen, Peugeot, Opal now GM have sold them a Pup) and KIA who are partners with Hyundai.  A lot of the power charger companies include more than one type at each point.  The cars have software to guide you and there are mobile apps to do the same.

Teapot wrote : A lot of the power charger companies include more than one type at each point.

Where I teach on a Wednesday has a charging point in the carpark .. it was free until 6 months ago when it was upgraded to a super-charger and they started charging a fee.

It has 3 different cable outlets all with different amps etc. Cost is for a non-abonné : 2€40 per charge of 1.5 hours, for an abonné : 1€60 per charge of 1.5 hours.

Seems reasonable to me as 2 of the outlets charged at 50 amps.

[quote user="alittlebitfrench"]There is a charging point at IKEA in Tours !!

I guess they are all standard.[/quote]

But that means going to IKEA [+o(][:-))][+o(]

Next time you are there buying your new furniture could you take a look and see what they have and who runs it?

Checking the charging apps for the phone, I can see I will be making friends with Ikea's everywhere. They are only on when the shops are open and not on Sundays. Some of the infrastructure is very old schuko plugs and slow charging. I will have to look at whom I need to take out accounts with.

• 4 months later...
I hired a Zoe in Brittany in June for 4 days and found charge points all over the place. I think now is a good time to get an EV in France as I didn't pay once. Once they become the standard car, paying for a charge will, no doubt, be the standard. The Type 2 which the Zoe has seemed a very common type of charge connecter, but there are others. Hardest thing was finding them on the app (chargemap is what I used), then finding it with the car. If the info was in the car satnav things would be easier. Being a hire car I didn't have time to work out how to connect my phone.