Winter Tyres !!!

alittlebitfrench

So, I had a little accident. Something fell off a lorry and shredded my front tyre and blistered another on the back.

So I needed four new tyres. We ordered some summer tyres and agreed a price.

Yesterday I took the car to get them replaced. The garage (for some reason we are trying to work out) put 4 winter tyres on the car.

I did not realise at first but when driving home the car felt phenomenal when driving. I had soooo much grip. There was also no tyre noise. The car was completely superb to drive. If felt brand new.

When I got back I looked at the tyres and I realised they were winter tyres.

Now I have 4 winter tyres on my car. I have two choices. I can change them now (which the garage has accepted to do) or keep them and buy some summer tyres when the time comes.

Given their performance, I can't think of a good reason to take them off.

What do you think I should do ?

BTW, if you are thinking of getting winter tyres and can afford to do so.....DO IT.

Keep them, it's November. Who knows what winter will bring.

We used to change from summer to winter at about this time of year, because being caught out was not a good option. Trouble is that they don't last as long as summer ones, at least they didn't.

I regret that people do not use winter tyres much in the UK, would make driving for all much easier when we do get snow, but there you go.

Keep them and spend the next few months searching for a good value second set of rims hopefully with some good tyres on them, paying out to have tyres swopped over every year is a mugs game.

You will of course have to learn how to change a wheel  [:P]

P.S. 10 out of 10 for integration, one damaged tyre, another allegedly damaged and you need 4 new tyres [:D]

[quote user="Chancer"]

Keep them and spend the next few months searching for a good value second set of rims hopefully with some good tyres on them, paying out to have tyres swopped over every year is a mugs game.

You will of course have to learn how to change a wheel  [:P]

P.S. 10 out of 10 for integration, one damaged tyre, another allegedly damaged and you need 4 new tyres [:D]

[/quote]

Maybe he had different tyres or wear on front and rear.

Or different sized wheels?[:-))]

Hang on Muppet Brits

The front right tyre was shreaded. I drove home on it for 5 Kms and it was definitely flat. Lol.

The back right had a buldge the size of Chancers brain coming out of the side of the tyre. It was just hanging on to life. Just.

So 4 new tyres were required.

So, yeah I am keeping them.

Completely converted to winter tyres.

I think tyres also have inelastic demand. Not sure. Lol.

Chancer might get that.

[quote user="idun"]Some modern cars do have spares and I know people who have bought new cars and made sure that they have a spare, rather than a 'bombe' which is as much use as a chocolate fire guard when there is a shredded tyre[Www]

[/quote]

But if you are smart you can save a few euros on the new price if you don't have a spare, if you are happy to drive home on a flat tyre and shred it[:-))]

[quote user="nomoss"]

But if you are smart you can save a few euros on the new price if you don't have a spare, if you are happy to drive home on a flat tyre and shred it[:-))]

[/quote]

And replace it with 2 new tyres! And then let them convince you that 2 more are needed. And then when you say yes get stitched up with winter tyres so you need to buy another 4 in spring and then thereafter go back twice a year to have them swopped over at which time they can sell you another pair each time..................

Or you could look up from your smartphone and see and avoid the hazards before driving over them.

Says the guy who wrecked a brand new tyre 2 weeks ago clipping a 2 row parpaing wall [:'(] But I only paid for one replacement tyre [:P]

ALBF does not have a smartphone.

He has 20 Euro Nokia. So he was certainly not looking at that. OR.... his GPS because he does not have one of those either. I don't even listen to the radio. Because that is in blôody French. LOL.

If the front right is shredded and the other is long past its sell by date they both need to be replaced.

If the back has a bulge (or f**** in mechanical terms) and needs to be replaced then that just leaves one good tyre.

Surely, you would replace them all with the same make.

What am I missing here ?

[quote user="alittlebitfrench"]ALBF does not have a smartphone.

He has 20 Euro Nokia. So he was certainly not looking at that. OR.... his GPS because he does not have one of those either. I don't even listen to the radio. Because that is in blôody French. LOL.

If the front right is shredded and the other is long past its sell by date they both need to be replaced.

If the back has a bulge (or f**** in mechanical terms) and needs to be replaced then that just leaves one good tyre.

Surely, you would replace them all with the same make.

What am I missing here ?[/quote]

I think what you are missing is that most people here didn't realise you were driving around with tyres "long past their sell by date", as with two damaged tyres, in normal conditions, one would put the two remaining tyres/wheels on the front and put two new tyres on the rear wheels. (On the basis that most authorities recommend putting the newer set on the rear, as rear grip is more important than front grip).

The fact seems to be that your tyre shop seems to have convinced you that you should have identical tyres on each axle, without considered putting the two good ones together, and on top of that has conned you into buying winter tyres.

It's referred to in the trade (or in mechanical terms if you prefer) as "Bullsh*t baffles brains"

[quote user="nomoss"]on top of that has conned you into buying winter tyres.

It's referred to in the trade (or in mechanical terms if you prefer) as "Bullsh*t baffles brains"

[/quote]
Fitting winter tyres in winter is not a con, fitting summer tyres in winter would be.
Winter tyres work in summer too although the wear rate is a little higher, by comparison summer tyres do not work in winter and if you have a crash you could be a lot worse off.

I have noooo idea what you are going on about Mr Nomss.

I will try again.

Front two tyres were getting to the point when you would consider changing them. One got shredded.

The back two were 3 years old and one got damaged and needed replacing.

That leaves (quick maths here) 1 tyre left. You can't match two unevenly worn tyres on the front or back. Even I know that.

The garage did not con anyone as they were happy to change them once the mistake was spotted.

Secondly, the car is a 4X4 so I guess rear and front don't change much.

Lastly, even muppets like me can feel the difference between winter and summer tyres. In fact there is such a difference that anyone should be able to feel it.

Also, in less than two months time there will be a new baby ALBF. So methinks that keeping them is a very good idea.

If it snows when I have to take Mrs ALBF to the hospital at 3am.....I'm sorted LOL.

The cost of going to a garage to get summer and winter tyres swapped onto a single set of rims each spring and autumn make it much more cost-effective to buy a second set of rims if you are going to keep the car for more than a year or two.

[quote user="pomme"]The cost of going to a garage to get summer and winter tyres swapped onto a single set of rims each spring and autumn make it much more cost-effective to buy a second set of rims if you are going to keep the car for more than a year or two.[/quote]
I kept mine on all year as I din't have a set of rims and buying them would cost more than two sets of tyres, even 2nd hand off Ebay.