Car Insurance

mazandcol

My car insurance runs out 09 December but I haven't received a renewal letter yet... probably because of COVID-19? I've emailed my agent, but no response yet - obviously he's not in his office.

I was just wondering if anyone else has had this problem during either lockdown, and if so what happened?

If you don't cancel the policy it will roll over, regardless of whether you have paid the renewal premium by renewal date or not. Motor insurance doesn't lapse in France, it carries on until you go through the proper procedure to cancel it. So you will still be insured and they will chase you for payment sooner or later.

True but it doesn't absolve insurance companies from sending out renewal notifications in a timely manner.

In any case IIRC the 'Loi Harmon' now allows you to cancel at any time after the first 12 months so even if it does roll over you can cancel without having to wait for the next renewal.

Be careful to avoid a break in cover though as you could then well find no insurer willing to take you on and the only way out of that I know (or rather knew) of was a transfer of ownership via a notional 'sale' of a car and a buy back.

Even before the Loi Harmon though it was easy to switch insurers, all you had to do was arrange alternative cover then tell your current insurer that you'd sold the car and give them a made up Certificate de Cession.

Does that still work in the ANTS era, don't know.

Not sure why you would need to resort to fraud!

When I changed insurers my new insurers dealt with the cancellation with the previous insurers. In fact they were absolutely delighted to do it, I got the feeling there was a bit of needle between the two agencies.

Would the fake CdC thing even work with ANTS? If you initiate a fictitious sale just to get a CdC and then you don't complete it, you might find yourself with problems when you really do want to sell or scrap the car. Not sure this is to be recommended!