plumber anyone?

Dwebs

What I do know is that CORGI is not a recognised body in France. Remember that in France most plumbers are also qualified electricians too especially in the cases of fuel boilers. You will have to compete with ready established local artisans so choose your area well.

[quote]Is there any call for an English plumber/engineer in France. we'd like to relocate & work (legit) in France but need to try to see if there's a market. Anyone got any comments/advice/jobs?[/quote]

In our area of France (47) there are plenty of work opportunities for a plumber who is prepared to register in France and work to French standards.

If you need more advice then please e-mail me privately.

Kind regards,

Bob Clarke

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/grindoux

[quote]What I do know is that CORGI is not a recognised body in France. Remember that in France most plumbers are also qualified electricians too especially in the cases of fuel boilers. You will have to com...[/quote]

I did not notice any reference to CORGI in this enquiry.

Unless I am mistaken CORGI is the Council for Registered Gas Installers - this enquiry was in regard to plumbing work - not quite the same.

Whilst it is true that many native registered French plumbers are also registered electricians this is not always the case.

Perhaps a more positive attitude to people wishing to live and work in France would be more helpful - we were all new here at one time.

Regards,

Bob Clarke

[quote]I did not notice any reference to CORGI in this enquiry. Unless I am mistaken CORGI is the Council for Registered Gas Installers - this enquiry was in regard to plumbing work - not quite the same. W...[/quote]

Bob, just pointing this fact out. It comes from getting involved with an english plumber a few years back who came here believing because he was CORGI registered he could get loads of work. The Chambre de Metiers here had never heard of it and in the end,the english chap had to return to the UK broke because he did not have recognised plumbing qualifications to work here either on his own or for an employer. Remember we all live in different depts here each with it's own peculiarities and I was just pointing out this fact to steer the enquirer in the right direction with no malice intended. 

We ourselves have only used local artisans as some of them are from our own village and we thought this was fair, but I have met many English people who have been looking for English plumbers, electricians, etc, as they are not confidant that their french is up to dealing with local artisans.

I would say that there is plenty of work for an English plumber here in depts 79/86, and although It might take a little while to get established, I think referrals would quickly accelerate your business.

However, there is loads of good sound advice on the forum about the difficulties or complications of starting up your own business here, not to mention the expense, so I would read through all of that as it will help you in making any decision.

Good luck with whatever you do.

Hazel

Whilst CORGI may not have been recognised in France a few years ago, I believe that it now comes with a Europe recognised accreditation and as already been pointed out it is a gas installation qualification not plumbing.  Personally, I am desperately looking for a plumber with whom I can communicate.  Whilst I'm trying to improve my French it would be nice to see a few French plumbers, particularly the younger ones, recognising an increasing opportunity and signing themselves up for English classes.

[quote]Whilst CORGI may not have been recognised in France a few years ago, I believe that it now comes with a Europe recognised accreditation and as already been pointed out it is a gas installation qualifi...[/quote]

LOL - just showed this to our young French electrician, who, after two years of working quite infrequently at our place, has learnt about two words of English!!

He laughed and said that if the English are moving to France and want artisans to work for them, they should learn French, including technical terminology. Or at least, that was the gist of it and I agree.

He's rewiring our house a bit at a time as and when we renovate a bit (probably an extremely expensive way of doing things but there you are). When he first started here we spoke hardly any French and used sign language and drew lots of wiring plans on walls/floors/cardboard etc. We have progressed and can now explain where we want sockets etc (we just draw a few crosses on the wall!) but we have become firm friends and he has helped US a lot in learning the language.

Why should he learn English, even though we have recommended him to other renovators? If you were French and living in the UK would you expect your local plumber to learn French?? I think not!

regards and bon weekend.......helen

(luckily for you all I'm back at work next week!)

PPS Sorry to hijack thread Dwebs. For what it is worth a Brit plumber (not a heating engineer) moved into our village in 16 a couple of years back and is now overwhelmed with work!!

There is certainly a shortage of reliable plumbers and heating engineers here in Basse Normandie, just as there is in England (our son having just completed his British Gas training, without the benefit of Ricky Tomlinson's teaching as in the TV ads we expect great things from him). As long as you are aware of the difference in plumbing systems in France and GB and you register properly with the Chambre des Metiers and do the course in French business practice - and understand and carry out the requirements - you should do very well if you find an area with plenty of potential English-speaking clients (like our area).

I'm totally useless at plumbing in either country, but it can't be too bad in France, we've just had our bathroom and loos sorted out by a couple of English lads - not registered, Will stands back in preparation for an onslaught from the forum's Siret police, but this was only because of the shortage of official workers, and they were friends helping out anyway. Though we got a French company in to service the boiler.

Good luck - no reason why it shouldn't work for you.

With regards to Helens' post,

yes, I do think it's worth learning to communicate with your target market whether it's France or any other country and that would include plumbers.  Of course the English here have to learn French but to learn plumbing/heating terminology in English wouldn't be that difficult and increases the chances of putting in a successful quote.  Why on earth do you think there are so many English trades people working successfully  black here if it isn't because they can communicate with the customer?

[quote]Have a look at www.artisan-anglais.com because there are plumbers in every department Freddie[/quote]

Having looked at the site, it has some registered, legal advertisers with their Siret numbers but also others with no Siret numbers. There are certainly not registered plumbers in all departements.

The home page states that all advertisers will show their Siret number or UK company registration number!

Regards,

Bob Clarke

Well, to be fair, the site says it's only just been launched so it will take time to get plumbers applying. And I've just had another look and I can't see anyone who isn't showing their Siret number, unless you mean that a couple have Siret en cours showing? Fair enough - it's up to us to ask, isn't it? I'm in the Dordogne and didn't know where to ask about builders so I'm really glad to see it, it certainly helped me. If we Brits are that stupid that we don't ask for Siret numbers or check up on our tradesman, perhaps we get what we deserve? I applaud this new site's intentions.

I am a time served electrician and have worked in dept. 47 as an electrician/plumber/joiner/tiler. There is plenty of work, but you must realise that if you only work for the English speaking community then your jobs will probabably be spread all over a very large area. You tend to be on the road for long periods and living in hotels depending how far away your job is. I hope this is a help to you.