A most enlightening convwersation at Chambre des Metiers!

tj

Hi all

I have been trawling through the archives for some definitive information as to my situation, which is briefly, to relocate my construction business to France.

My problem, I have been in the industry off and on for 25 yrs, more on than off I might add. But as is not uncommon, my experience has been gained thru working and running my business, rather than training. Hence, I do not have those seemingly precious certificates for plumbing or electrical installations.

I have just finished speaking to a very helpful guy at the Chambre des Metiers, who informed me that he will arrange the compulsory 3-4 day business course, and after will register myself and my business activities as " general construction, plumbing and electrical engineering. Which will fulfil my legal obligations as far as " being registered " and not working illegally in a "regulated activity"

This is quite contrary to the "difficulties one will encounter" as suggested by some in this forum, who should it would appear be more knowledgable on the subject?

Don't shoot the messenger, myself, and am sure others, will be relieved if this is infact the case. 

That is good, but remember that all functionaires are not the same. Some can be exceedingly helpful, others obstructive at best.

I think that the posts you have seen reflect people's experiences and yours now can be added as a very good experience. But it would be naieve for others to believe that your experience would automatically be replicated in their case.

All you have done is the intial stuff now. You still have an awful lot to sort out, so good luck with that too.

Funny you should mention insurance Chris as I have come across information gleaned from the old proverbial 'Dog and Duck'. Seems that some builders registered in France are not getting the 10 year insurance - the cost is too high. When my contact went to enquire of the functionaire if this was necessary, the answer was 'Yes' but we cannot police it.

As we may want our contact to do work for us at some time, I stated in no uncertain terms that I would want to see insurance before the job commenced or I was not interested. Seems the 'dog and duck' view is that having public liability and being able to go and repair any damaged caused by negligence would be adequate - rubbish, how do you repair someone who is crushed due to a wall falling on them or how do you make someone come back and repair the wall if they don't want to?

I really do despair of these 'so called' builders - do the French do the same thing I wonder?

Chris. We have had Assurance Résponsabilité & Deçennale in France for over 9 years in France with no claims whatsoever in that time by us or against us and we carry out all aspects of general building work except for boiler installations,high tension electrical,swimming pools and demolition with explosives. Our yearly bill for this comes to 2200 € and since our last payment on July 1st has gone up by 10% in just six months. I asked about a reduction like you get in car insurance after three years no claims and the company said no. The insurances are NOT provided by the Chambre de Metiers, they just get the companies in to speak to the stagieres and then they contact you direct at home where you do your deal with them,so the CdeM has in fact nothing to do with insurance claims. As for the original posting on his experience, this was exactly how it went for us,although we were the first english they had ever had registered here and the paperwork became alittle confused at times. Again I too, have heard so many different tales,some good and some horrific but then it just shows the different ways that every dept is not the same here and the fonctionaires who work there too.

Thanks for the input Val & Di, we're about to install and have been playing around with the various tangents available to us.

I make things out of Oak and have the right to retail without having to pay insurance for a 10 year guarantee (although I'd guarantee my work for 110 years!), for instance I have a client who has asked me to timber frame the open end of a barn gable and to make them a kitchen, both of which I'll install for them, I have another client who I'm making several doors and a large oak floor for, I've assessed both risks as close to zero and will do the work. I've been totally honest with my clients and told them that I'm not interested in making masses of money nor do I want to pay masses of money out, that's not our reason for being here. HOWEVER...I won't trade here unless I'm totally legit, or as close to it as I can manage given the way I see life!!!

In truth my wife oversees all the logistics of our business, I just don't understand all that crap and care even less about it, but I do tend to do as I'm told!!

Chris (23)

[quote]Thanks for the input Val & Di, we're about to install and have been playing around with the various tangents available to us. I make things out of Oak and have the right to retail without having ...[/quote]

Sorry, I am a bit dense here. If you are registered in France the insurance is the law and so not to have it you are breaking the law. Please do not take this the wrong way, but if you are an 'artiste' in wood I would expect statues and oranments, if you are making kitchens and cladding parts of walls then you are a normal artisan and as such should be registered as such.

I have had bespoke work done in wood, it is currently happening above my head BUT the person doing the work on our old barn with many years of skill in woodworking is a registered artisan in France. My kitchen is bespoke made by this man and the large kitchen in our main barn will be the same, I cannot see the difference.