avoiding UK tax

Although it has taken 3 months for the UK inl rev., to reply to my queries,they have now included a form which I have to give to the French H.d.Impot. to get  checked, sent to Paris and returned to UK. I previously had no problems with getting tax back that was overpaid but they are changing rules and regs all the time. I expect they may be looking a little closer at anyone paying in sums of cash now, even if it's not £53 million.As one door shuts,another closes.

Regards. B&B St.Malo.

Gastines I think you will find that no rules have changed  and you have been sent a double tax imdemnity form.  This form does not allow you to claim back overpaid tax as such,  it is to claim back all tax paid in the UK on UK generated income and for future payments to be made gross and declared for tax in France.

The reason why you have to take it to the tax office is so that they certify that you have declared the same amount as income in France that you are claiming tax back on in the UK .  They send the form to Paris for you and then it is sent back to Nottingham who authorise any tax collected in the UK to be repaid.

Don't remind me Gay. My husband felt sick when the inspector showed him all our info on paper including the address of this property, our passport numbers and the dates of BF sailings back and forth. This was back in 94 so god knows how good the intel is now!!

[quote user="Val_2"]Don't remind me Gay. My husband felt sick when the inspector showed him all our info on paper including the address of this property, our passport numbers and the dates of BF sailings back and forth. This was back in 94 so god knows how good the intel is now!![/quote]

Sounds horrible, but what was the taxman trying to prove?  

We all know that Big Brother is watching us all the time.  Any privacy we think we have is just an illusion.  If you internet bank, shop on-line or on the high street, in supermarkets with a loyalty card, use a credit card anywhere and have a mobile phone, THEY are watching you.  Can't think why an identity card is necessary, really!  I expect all new vehicles are microchipped as well.

Paranoid, me?  Whatever gave you that idea?!

[quote user="Loopy Lou"]

We all know that Big Brother is watching us all the time.  Any privacy we think we have is just an illusion.  If you internet bank, shop on-line or on the high street, in supermarkets with a loyalty card, use a credit card anywhere and have a mobile phone, THEY are watching you.  Can't think why an identity card is necessary, really!  I expect all new vehicles are microchipped as well.

Paranoid, me?  Whatever gave you that idea?!

[/quote]

Don't forget all mobile phones since a year after the twin towers have micro GPS recievers installed, thats why they are so easy to use for guidence, TomTom and all the other makers of GPS driving systems all sell special sim cards to put in your phone, just look at their websites. So if you have a mobile they know where you are down to the nearest 5M anywhere on earth that recieves a mobile phone signal.

Still I look at it this way, if you have not tried to cheat the taxman or do anything else illegal whats to worry about?

It's not necessarily  trying to cheat the taxman but sometimes the mistakes they make. My brother-in-law has just started with the Inl.Rev. and  I. can't see him having a lot of sympathy for anyone.I do keep a letter from them apologising for the six errors they made in one year,which I show him to wind him up. However I did manage to get an interest free loan out of them for one mistake. They sent me a rebate from our local office and a week later sent the same amount from the Bristol office. About 25yrs ago £600+ was quite an amount. A few weeks later I was asked for one payment back as I must have realised it was an error. I did point out that I was a workman and not an accountant and I did expect them to know what they were doing,anyway,I've spent it!!! Well....you can pay it back over one year,interest free. I did pay it back,over 3 years!!! The trouble with trying to be clever ,was that the same inspector dealt with me for the next 10 years and he even got me in to write down how many pints of milk/grocery bill/shoes/clothes/etc.etc. before he'd accept any books. In the end I had to get VAT reg,and the accountant to go with it.Then I got told off for buying a Vax and trying to get the VAT back, and fined.

All good fun, when  they work my pension out I expect they'll have the last laugh.

Regards.B&B St.Malo.

[quote user="Gastines"]

In the end I had to get VAT reg,and the accountant to go with it.Then I got told off for buying a Vax and trying to get the VAT back, and fined.

All good fun, when  they work my pension out I expect they'll have the last laugh.

Regards.B&B St.Malo.

[/quote]

Got the VAT and tax back on a lawnmower once. We designed computer rooms and networks, we built a new comtputer room for Leyland Trucks. We had to dig a trench across a quadrangle to put a fibre optic cable from one side to another and we were told that everything must be put back as we found it as the directors offices looked over the grassed area. So we carefully removed the grass an put it aside, dug the trench etc. When we went to put the turf back it had of course grown out of proportion to the rest so we had to cut it. Being a sunday we couldn't hire a lawnmower so we had to go to B&Bq and buy a nice, self propelled Mountfield with a 18" cut just to cut a 18" strip about 20M long. Of course we would have hired one if it was any other day than a Sunday.

[quote user="Quillan"]

Still I look at it this way, if you have not tried to cheat the taxman or do anything else illegal whats to worry about?

[/quote]

Ah - but supposing one is doing something merely immoral or simply

embarassing? I can think of a few things I have done that I would

rather the world at large or, more particularly, some spotty civil

servicve JILF with minimal security clearance and poor social skills,

to know anything about. Frankly, I'd be surprised if anyone even

remotely interesting didn't have at least one or two fascinating

skeletons in their closet.

Put it another way - is anyone out there happy to blind copy me on

every personal email they send? If they really have nothing to hide,

then why not?

• 2 weeks later...