Carpentry or HGV

1simon1

I will be moving to the Limousin area in Feb 2007. I am a carpenter from the building industry and this will be my main source of work (hopefully). I am considering taking my HGV  in England and using it in France as a possible alternative income. Am I correct in believing that this is a european license?.

Will I need to take further tests to be able to drive over there?.

I am far from fluent in the language but I am trying very hard to learn. I am wary of setting up shop as an Artisan and then not being able to use the HGV qualification.

Here is some information which may be relevant to you as a new LGV licenceholder coming to live in France and considering looking for employment here:

The "top" UK LGV (artic) licence is a category C+E licence which is the same as category E(C) in France, ie. vehicle with a PTAC >3.5 tonnes and trailer > 750kg.

All licences issued by an EU state are valid in all other EU states, so your UK LGV licence would be valid for driving in France.  If you wish, you may exchange your UK licence for a French one and you will receive the same entitlements as on your existing licence. You will be subject to period medical tests, as in the UK.

There are a number of additional training/qualification requirements for driving in France.

FIMO: Formation Initial Minimum Obligatoire (obligatory minimum initial training) - 4 week initial commercial driver training course, obligatory for all new LGV licence holders.

CFP: Certificat de Formation Professionel (Professional Training Certificate) - 350 hours training with choice of certificate in delivery driving/long distance(artics)/dangerous materials. The certificate is recognised as a key qualification by French transport companies.

Given that these days, you can take your E(C) test using a 10 tonne rigid with a 1 tonne drawbar trailer, I would think the the CFP artic qualification would be a routine requirement for finding employment driving artics, although previous UK experience may be taken into account.

FCOS: Formation Continue Obligatoire de Securite (obligatory continuous safety training ) - 3 day course every five years covering general road safety, current regulations, etc. Attestation issued on successful completion.

Note: A minimim requirement for the above is the ability to read and write in French and perform simple mathematic calculations (addition, subtraction, multiplication,division).

I do not wish to put a downer on you 1simon1, but only confirm what Sunday driver has said. My significant other held an HGV1 and Hazardous goods for over 20 years in UK, he had to take the FCOS when we came to France, not only is it expensive it is intensive French, not your run of the mill everday jargon. He gets the work on his past experience .

In the UK you would probably struggle to get a HGV job as a novice driver without an internal transfere these days.

If you sort out the licence in the UK and go and work for Christien Salvasen,  Nobby Bent Teath, or Eddie Stobart out of the UK you will get a good idea of what it is like without burning your bridges. Find the right contract drive 50 kilometres in the wrong direction so you loose the local competion and find a return load you can make a good living

[quote user="Anton Redman"]If you sort out the licence in the UK and go and work for Christien Salvasen,  Nobby Bent Teath, or Eddie Stobart out of the UK you will get a good idea of what it is like without burning your bridges. Find the right contract drive 50 kilometres in the wrong direction so you loose the local competion and find a return load you can make a good living[/quote]

That is assuming that you pass first time, the companies mentioned are recruiting novices. Of course you can earn a good living by getting a backload, but do you not think that those who have been in the game years know where to look!

By all means go for your licence, if you can`t get the work in France you may be able to return to the UK at peak periods and work there.

Carpentry Simon.

At the risk of being bombasted, don't even bother taking your HGV.  If you've got the skills to keep you off the road then take that route. Trucking is not the easiest of livings. In my dim and distant past I spent two and a half years on the road, 95% of it in Europe, east and west. It sucked. The loneliness and danger (not so much in the west but in the east) are just not worth it. As a newly qualified driver you won't get decent work, if any at all.

I'm in Limousin and also work with wood, we're happy to help you with your ideas if we can. The system here can be a little frustrating!

Chris

Thank you all for some great advice. I think I must have more faith in myself being able to earn a crust as a wood butcher and leave the HGV thing for someone else!

I don't have a mortgage out in france so I hope I may be able to make ends meet.

Chris, I will be in touch. thank you.